Chapter 7~The Tribute Parade

I placed my hand gently on the silver sprayed horse and stroked their chin. I always had a special fondness for horses, before grandpa died I took horseback riding classes. Instead of having the luxury of a carriage, the tributes would ride the horses into the training center. Fine by me, I was a well-trained equestrian. I mounted my horse in a graceful manner as Angela came over to say her last few words before the tribute parade.

"As soon as you enter the walkway, you have to act like you know you're going to win" Angela whispered in my ear. "Show them that you're not afraid, act as if you have a secret weapon". I started to protest but Angela cut me off. "It's just a reality TV show. Pretend it's one of your broadcasts" she hissed before giving me a reassuring hug and leaving. As a kid whenever the Capitol needed to advertise or announce something child-related they would have me do it. I remembered freaking out before being filmed but when I stood there on the stage with the capitol backdrop, I acted as though I was confident and sure. It was one of the things grandpa was most proud about.

The muffled noises of Katniss Everdeen's announcement stopped and the stable doors opened. Jake's horse trotted up to mine, "You ready?" he asked and I nodded shakily in return. Rebecca and Brian's horses stepped out of the stable and onto the walkway, the cheering was immediate. I inhaled sharply and composed myself sitting straight up with confidence. I flattened my dress and the last thing I did before I left the stable was straighten the black rose in my hair.

As Jake and I rode onto the walkway all the cheers for rank 1 stopped and the attention turned to me. I didn't let the stares get to me, instead, I sat even straighter. The horses were well trained enough to walk properly without being trained but I grabbed the reins of mine and directed it to walk even slower and with a fashionable style. After a few minutes of silence, I waved to the crowd causing them to stand up and clap. Roses and coins were thrown at me from both sides of the stands. A black rose hit me in the head and I picked it up in confusion, looking towards the thrower only to see Angela waving and cheering me on. I held the rose with pride the rest of tribute parade.

As I neared the training center Katniss Everdeen stood on the balcony her lips pursed. She dropped a horse treat down from the ledge right in front of my horse. For one second I had full control of the reins but the next, my horse was swinging around, charging towards the horse treat that was attached to a hook. I gasped as my horse charged towards the crowd and I barely stopped it by yanking on the reins. Jake dashed up next to my rabid horse, "Climb on!" he yelled, "Hurry!". The gap between our horses was probably a foot and the speed we were going was probably around 40 miles per hour. I crouched on top of my horse my heart beating so hard I feared it would pop out. The distance between our horses was widening by the minute. "Jump!" Jake yelled, then all the sounds around me dulled to almost nothing. I closed my eyes and jumped.

For a second I thought I would fall but then I was hurled back into reality as Jake caught me, breaking the fall. Jake's horse slowed to a stop as the crowd cheered at the drama. "You okay?" Jake asked helping me off the horse. I nodded, my body still in a position of shock. I looked up towards the balcony just in time to see the tail of Katniss Everdeen's dress swish around the corner of the door.

My eyes narrowed and my hands curled into fists. It is on Katniss Everdeen, you may be as hot as fire, but I am as cold as ice.