Chapter 4~The Start

Rebecca and Brian were placed first, Tessa and this boy named Henry placed third, and I placed second.

Rank 2! Rank 2! Rank 2! was all I could think, I hadn't flunked the rankings, I wasn't dead last! Two soldiers grabbed me by the arm and guided me towards a fancy silver limo, Rank 2's color I assumed. My head finally stopped pounding when the soldiers threw me into the car. 

"HEY!" I protested but they shut the door cutting me off, I rubbed the sore part of my arm that was slammed into the car door. I turned and jumped upwards screaming. Jake had materialized on the other side of the car seat. Jake probably thought something was wrong and started screaming as well. Finally, I kicked him in the stomach effectively cutting his voice off. 

"Will you two SHUT UP?" Rebecca yelled from the gold car ahead of us. After that, both of us sat silently until the golden car ahead of us pulled out of the lot and our silver car followed. 

"So..." Jake said awkwardly, "Your Ally aren't you". 
"Alice" I snapped back, the boy was already getting on my nerves. 
"Ok," he said quietly, "Your President Snow's granddaughter right?".
"Do me a favor and shut up!" I yelled at him. He should've known better than to touch on the topic of my granddad, it was like talking about your dead father. Jake didn't say anything after that and we sat silently for the whole ride to the train station. The soldiers walked us to the track where a stunning silver train stood. Enobaria stood in the doorway of it smiling at us.

"Ah, my tributes are here, at last, come aboard then," Enobaria said flashing her brilliant fangs at us. Since we had to wait for Rank 1's train to pull out of the station first before we could leave, Enobaria allowed us to sit in the open balcony in the back of the train for a bit. 

"Hey," Jake said softly as he sat in the chair across from me. When I didn't say anything he sighed and continued. "I'm sorry about the conversation on the car ride. I shouldn't have touched on such a sensitive topic".

I sighed and shrugged, "Whatever, it's not like I actually care about him anymore" I mumbled even though I knew I was lying. Jake awkwardly wrapped his arms around me and gave me a reassuring squeeze. Then he left the cart probably to talk to Enobaria and learn some secret tips. 

I was mad. I yanked out the white rose hairpin that was the only object I still had possession of from my grandfather. I opened the window and chucked the diamond accessory as far away as I could and shut the window right before the train started moving.

No more of Grandpa, it was time to start my new life. A life that would be in victor's lane.