Gold and Braid

"Steph we're here"
He wasn't surprised she had slept the whole plane ride. He gently shook her once again until she began to stir. She peered at her surrounding with one eye.
"Can you tell me where we're at now?"
He softly laughed.
"Let's get everything into the car and I'm sure you'll figure it out"
"Liiiindseyyy"
She whined.
"I promise you'll know"

Stevie's POV
After we left the airport, almost immediately, I knew we were in Arizona.
"I can't believe you surprised me like this!" I kiss Lindsey's cheek roughly
"So I take it you're happy?"
"What kind of question is that? Yes! I can't wait to see my parents"
It's true. I've missed them so, so much. I've never been able to go too long without my mother. I haven't seen her in what feels like decades, in reality I think it's been about 8 months. Wow, almost a year. Being with my parents when times were rough has always been a comfort. When I broke up with Lindsey this was the first place I ran to, so I'm sure they'll be confused when we arrive together.
"We're here"
Lindsey pulls me out of my thoughts, opening the car door for me, we both pull out our luggage and roll it to the front door of the house where I eagerly knock. I'm so happy to be here, but I'm also really nervous. My mom is gonna make sure to shovel food into my mouth the second I get here and she'll badger me with questions about everything.
" Teedee! What a surprise! And Lindsey!"
She pulls us both into a hug and we step in. She eyes me up and down
"Stephanie you're not eating!"
My smile quickly fades... she did not just say that. Motherly instincts or is she a psychic?
"Um nice to see you mom"
What else do I say to that? I think she caught on that she just said something she wasn't supposed to. We all ignore the tension she caused and I lead Lindsey up to my childhood bedroom.
-
Barbara's POV
I can't believe I just said that. I can't help it though, my baby is so thin! I know somethings wrong. What have they been doing out there on the road? I know how these rockstars live, I'm not blind but when it's your own child, reality sinks in real quick. When Lindsey called me and told me that he'd be bringing Stevie for a surprise visit and to play along that I had no clue, I happily agreed. He told me he'd been worried about Stevie, he didn't elaborate much he just told me it'd do her well if she got some one-on-one time with her mom. Now that I see her state, I know that she definitely isn't well. She needs her momma.
-
Lindsey's POV
While Stevie is outdoors by the pool talking with her dad who she adores, I sneak off to talk to Barbara.
"So what's going on Lindsey?"
"I honestly don't really know. Christine told me she's gonna talk to a doctor for us. We know Stevie likes to always look like she's perfectly put together, but she's not and it's evident"
"A doctor?"
"I know you don't  wanna hear this about your daughter but she has an addiction ... and she's too thin, there's definitely a need for a doctors consult"
The small woman in front of me breaks down into tears, I feel terrible but she needs to know. I pull her into a hug.
" I'm gonna get her the help she needs Barb. I'm gonna take care of her, I'm going to need your help too though"
"Anything! Ill do anything to get my daughter help"
-
Later that night we all sit around the fireplace chatter (mostly from Barbara) fills the room. There's a plate of brownies that Barbara made for us, they're Stevie's favorite, but she's mostly just picking at it.
"How about you and I go shopping tomorrow Teedee?"
"Alright, that'll be fun. What's linds gonna do all day though?"
She chuckles.
"Actually I wanna visit this new record store I saw when we were driving here, Ill be fine"
I lie to her but hide it with a polite smile.
Jess is asleep on the recliner and Stevie is yawning so I stoop down to her on the couch
"Let's go to bed my love,"
"Alright"
She kisses her mother on the cheek and we make our way up the stairs.
-
Later that night I lay in bed waiting for stevie to come to bed. She's in the bathroom and I have a pretty good idea of what she's doing. I have no idea how, but I'm pretty sure she's already found the neighborhood dealer so she's locked herself in the bathroom pretending I don't hear her sniffing. I choose not to be mad right now, because I know Christine is going to be calling me tomorrow telling me what she knows on Stevie's 'condition' I don't even want to call it that, she sounds like she has a disease. Who knows maybe she does. Addiction is like a disease. I don't think this is all it is though, she doesn't eat she's obsessed with the way her body looks, her mood swings are unbelievable... she's just not the woman I know her as, she's a stranger now. I'm gonna pull her through this though, I love her and all I want is for her to be happy, even if it means I and Fleetwood Mac need to be out of the picture.

Okay so I hope this chapter isn't too boring, I remember when I had anorexia the first thing my mom said to me when I came to visit her after not seeing her for almost a year was,
" you're not eating!"
And it was probably one of the most shocking moments for me ever, so I thought it'd be interesting to include. Remember, if any of you ever need to talk I'm here💛