Chapter 27- Only him.

Start from the beginning

After a while of walking through the trees, it felt like we were making circles. Everything looks exactly the same and it doesn't seem like we were getting any closer to our starting point. I'm incredibly tired, hungry and a little scared that the dark would catch up to us making it even harder to navigate our way around.

Tears of frustration threaten to spill from my eyes but before they could, Nicole's temper caused her to speak up. "How hard should it be to find the damn waterfall? That thing is loud as hell!"

"We should have paid attention to where we were going," I say relieved that she decided to talk. I love the silence but right now, the last thing I need is to be analyzing everything in my brain. I wish I was with someone like Adam or even Hunter instead of Nicole. They had a better idea of when to speak and when to shut up. I also believe they would have a better idea on how to deal with me. Not only is anger bubbling up inside me again- this time it's directed at me and when that happens I don't fight others, I simply cry. Embarrassing but completely true.

Suddenly she straightens up from her stiff posture and holds her hand up to signaling to be quiet. "Wait, shut up. I think I hear something."

I perk up in hope of hearing the waterfall. Nothing. I hear nothing. "Nicole, you are just-"

"I said shut up!" She interrupts me, focusing on whatever she is hearing.

"Do you really hear the waterfall?" Perhaps she is going crazy. I think I am too. We've been out here for way too long, maybe her brain is playing tricks on her.

"No." She pauses and looks at me with a smirk. "I hear your man."

"Scarlet!"

My heart dropped to my feet, tears start pooling in my eyes. I look around me trying to find those grey eyes until I finally lock my gaze with Hunter just as he starts running towards me.

It seems like I only have time to blink before he has me crushed into his chest holding onto me for dear life. "My little Kitten." he murmurs into my neck. I didn't think I'd get to hear his voice again, much less with so much emotion laced through his words, he voice is hoarse like he has been screaming for hours- which might have been the case.

I want to say something to him, a thank you for finding us, tell him how happy I am to see him, but just as I try to open my mouth a sob escapes me instead causing him to hold on to me even tighter. Trying not fall over, I hug him just as tight and hold him even closer to me.

Nicole and I might not have been out that long, a few hours perhaps, but it feels like so much longer. Keeping myself together after this adventure seems completely impossible as I fall apart in Hunter's arms but he doesn't miss a beat as he lets me go for less than a second to readjust so we can begin our journey back.

"Let's get you two back." He says. His voice deep, comforting and most importantly- stable. We were the opposite of that in the moment.

"Before we go," Hunter stops us. "Nicole, do you need medical attention? What happened to your face?" he asks her. Her nose is not bleeding or anything but one side of her face is a lot more red and swollen than it should be.

She huffs and turns away from us, mumbling, "Your girlfriend happen. She attacked me."

"Shut up, Nicole," I say rolling my eyes. My lack of sympathy is strange, I caused her this pain but my brain just can't decide between feeling bad or feeling proud.

"See!" She exclaimed pointing at me while looking at Hunter. "There she is again! Attacking me, now verbally. I feel attacked. Attacked!"

In my state, I completely forgot that Nicole might have been scared too. She was probably freaking out, talking was the way for her to deal with stressful situations and I completely attacked her for it. Granted, she did chose a horrible topic to discuss.