-10-

"JUVIA!"

Even my ghosts are screaming at me now, she thought bitterly. They want me to pay.

"Juvia, are you in there?" The door flew open, revealing a breathless, teary-eyed Gray. He looked around in a panic, before his gaze met hers. Her shocked eyes were watery, her arms stained red. His jaw clenched at the sight of the blade embedded in her limb; why would she cause herself so much pain?

The terrified girl ran into the bathroom, trying to shut herself in, but Gray was too fast. He managed to slam the door open, catching her arms. "LET GO!" She was crying, kicking, screaming, but he held on tight. 

Why would you do this, Juvia?

******

"PLEASE! JUST LET GO OF ME!" Juvia was trying with everything she had, but he was just too strong. Her struggles were tiring her, blood still seeping from her arms. Gray noticed this too, and whispered something to her that made her freeze.

"Please. Don't leave me."

He felt her stop struggling, relaxing his grip. Was she caving?

Suddenly, Juvia pushed him away, backing up into a corner. Her knuckles were white, hands wrapped around her stomach. "Leave you?! Why shouldn't I? Why do you care?" she shouted. She tried to seem intimidating, like a wild animal that wouldn't hesitate to attack. 

But all Gray saw was a scared, broken girl, desperately fighting all alone in a beautiful but cruel world. (A/N: Yes, that was a reference. And yes, I do expect you to get it.)

"I want to help you."

Her eyes flashed with anger. "What could somebody like you do with somebody like me? How can you fix a shattered soul when you don't even have all of the pieces?" she snapped.

"I-" 

"WHY? Why must you come back? Why do you torment me like this?"

Gray was hesitant. What if he said something wrong? "I don't want to cause you more pain! I only-"

"ALL ANYONE DOES IS CAUSE ME PAIN!" Juvia was hysterical, sinking to her knees in anguish. The sight squeezed at his heart; he had absolutely no idea what to do. Should he hug her? Kiss her? Leave?

He shook his head. He would not leave her alone like this. Not now.

Making up his resolve, he knelt in front of her. She was curled into a ball, sobs echoing throughout the small room. He started to cry too; she was hurting so much. He just wanted to take the pain away. Put a smile on her 

"Listen, I know your hurting. I am too." She looked up, her big, blue eyes filled with tears. "That's why you can trust me." 

He put all of the feelings from his heart into his gaze, hoping they would reach her. They stared into each other's eyes, observing the hidden emotions.

In hers: anxiety, misery, heartache. 

In his: pleading, desperation, hope.

"But-but how do I know? How can I trust you?" she whispered. "How will you prove your loyalty?"

He thought for a second, before crawling over to the small girl. She stiffened, wary of his sudden actions. They were almost pressed up against each other, Gray's breath lightly dusting Juvia's cheek. His hand reached out, and grasped hers. "With this."

He slipped the blade out of her palm. She looked up at him in surprise. "Wh-what?"

Giving a small, apologetic smile, he raised his arm.

And swung down.

*YAY!! Finally done TT-TT 

Took long enough! I really tried, but I just couldn't finish this chapter yesterday. My motivation was low and I've just been feeling really under the weather. 

Hoped you liked the Gruvia! Wrote most of this in class next to the teacher -_- 

I think this chapter took long because I wanted to get it over with, but at the same time didn't want to rush it. (^.^') This should be a good starter for the shipping, because they are finally interacting! \(^.^)/ Yay socializing with other humans... nah TT.TT 

I've been wondering... should I rate this story mature? There have been bloody scenes... and there are quite possibly more to come... \('~')/

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to comment!

P.S. Thank you readers who ask me to update! It really encourages me to keep writing when I see people asking for the next chapter. Keep requesting!!! /(^3^)/