This only fuelled Val's urge to kill.

I could hear Helena's pleas for Val to stop and Max's groan as he pushed Helena to the side to try and protect Helena. Val pulled her hand back and threw the spear with excessive force and the closer it flew towards me the head of the spear grew sharp pointed spikes. I was ready to dodge the spear but I collapsed to the ground as an unimaginable pain struck my body.

It was as though millions of hot knives were carving into every pore of my body and so much pressure was building in my head that it was close to exploding. All this happened in a second and I pried my eyes open to see the spiked spear aiming straight for my chest. I couldn't do it. I couldn't help and save Val.

I readied myself for impact. But another cry from Max broke me out of my pain induced shock. Once again, although he was sliced open and bleeding profusely he had pushed Helena aside and stood in front of me taking the hit of the ice spear. Helena screamed and dug her hands into the ground sending python thick vines shooting from the dirt to try to constrict around Val.

"Max! No!" I shouted. I ran to him and grasped the spear melting the spear easily as though it was butter on toast. All the fire of my body was gone apart from my palms. "Stay alive damnit!"

I pressed my palm to the large gaping hole below his collarbone and pressed small amounts of fire to it to try and seal the wound but it was no use. "Max why the hell would you do something stupid like that!" I shouted angrily at him.

Val's shrieks continued as she clawed at the vines tearing them apart and Helena shouted that she couldn't keep her for long. I looked back down to Max and he coughed sending blood spurting from his mouth and wounds. He gasped for breath and grabbed the front of my shirt.

"Val... Val isn't herself. She loves... you. Tell her... tell her I love her, that I'd tried do everything to make... make her happy. Even if her being happy... even if her being happy means she's happy with you" Max gasped between coughing out blood. "It's my sacrifice"

I felt tears prick at the corner of my eyes and I nodded. "You're one of the good ones Max" His face was splattered with blood and his teeth were no longer white but stained red. I felt his breathing become ragged as he struggled for another breath but within seconds his grip released my shirt and his eyes unfocused on anything in the world as Max drew his last breath.

I gently let go and stood up. No more... Max was the second person I held as they died in my arms today and it was more than I ever thought I'd have to go through. I snapped my head to Helena at her piercing scream to see Val had thrown another spiked spear at her but had struck through her thigh.

"Helena!"

"I'm okay" she gritted through clenched teeth as she sent vines to wrap themselves above the spear to slow the bleeding.

I charged towards Val conjuring up a whip of fire. I sliced it through the air and watched as it wrapped itself around Val's arms and body. I pulled it tight and the flames deepened into her skin as she flew towards me. I saw her fingers spread wide and the flames froze instantly then broke when she fisted her hand. We circled each other like lions readying for an attack. Her eyes darted all over me as she took in every move and twitch.

"Val... this is not you. This Malum's essence in your mind, push him out Val! You can do this!" I cried out as her new found Stinger powers pierced through my body and I snapped. I felt a darkness inside of me, that seemed as small as a marble, grow with each wave of pain Val sent through me. "Val stop this!" I shouted as I tried to step forward towards her with difficulty. The darkness grew and grew and soon felt tangible enough for me to take hold off.

I reached out to grab it and felt powerful. It felt like an evil strength that magnified all my powers and then some. The pain Val was pressing into me seemed to become lighter the more I concentrated on the darkness and I quickly realised what had happened. Val had awakened my dormant Stinger abilities. I stared deep into Val's eyes and saw that she was still using her ability on me yet it wasn't working as strong as before.