Chapter 11

Chapter eleven:

Oh dear Lord, what have I done...?

I stared at Derrek’s surprised eyes that darkened to a deeper gold. I could feel my eyes grow wider and wider until they stretched to the point of hurting. The crowds’ shouts and hollers no longer reached my ears and I was surrounded by silence as I stared at Derrek.  Suddenly strong arms wrapped themselves around my shoulders and hugged me tight.

“Not the distraction I’d come up with but definitely effective nonetheless” Max shouted near my ear making my eardrum ring a little. I turned to him and only realised then that he was soaking wet.

“Max! Get off me, your clothes are dripping wet!” I laughed. My emotions were flying everywhere! I had a happy Max, who has a massive crush on me, even though I kissed Derrek. I had a surprised and confused Derrek who had just given me the most amazing and heart stopping kiss I’d ever experienced despite the fact that we were interrupted! Then finally, I had a pissed off red head who was glaring at me like her life depended on it.

“I... uh...” was pretty much all I could get out from my frozen lips which still felt burnt from Derrek’s lips.

“I thought Sarah almost had you but then BAM, you spin around and used the ultimate distraction to win us the contest” Max gloated, “Well, second ultimate” he winked. I was stammering again and I felt like an idiot. I couldn’t, for the life of me, string two comprehensible words together!!! At Max’s statement Derrek’s eyes burnt like molten lava and glowered at me.

“Congratulations to the winners!” The announcer boomed and threw fifty dollars to both Max and myself. By the time I looked back at Derrek he and Sarah were already gone, I couldn’t even spot Sarah’s flaming hair.

“Come on Val the day is still young! Let’s look for Helena and check out the games” Max said steering me towards the clearest path out. We eventually found Helena at a little plant nursery and made our way around the fete.

“Hey there’s a game of volleyball over there!” Helena cried pointing to the outer parts of the fete. We ran over to watch the end of the current game the students were playing and to my disgust I found Sarah competing.

“Let’s just go” I murmured suddenly losing interest in the game.

“What, why?” Max and Helena asked in unison. I shrugged my shoulders and began to turn when the most annoying voice perked up.

“Well, well, well... look who it is. Little Miss Distraction” Sarah’s snooty voice called out.

“You know her?” Helena asked.

“Kind of” I grumbled, sighing deeply, being around her seemed to drain me from all my patience. The ball was served into Sarah’s side and was set up high into position. Sarah ran up to spike it down towards the other team and a skinny pixie haired girl dived into the sand to try to save it but ended up with a mouthful of sand instead.

“Hell yeah!” Sarah and her team mates shouted as they hi-fived each other. “Is there no one who can beat us!?”  I rolled my eyes at her boisterous personality but secretly was happy that Derrek wasn’t with her. It actually surprised me that he was even hanging out with her considering he seemed like the lone wolf type of guy... except when he hangs with Max, Helena and myself.

I looked around standing on my toes to try and see if Derrek was hanging around but he was nowhere to be seen. I don’t know why I cared really, but something about what Sarah was mocking me with during the contest disturbed me. She seemed pretty close to Derrek and I didn’t even know he was friends with anyone else. I had always thought that Max was pretty much his only friend but I guess I was wrong. My mind turned to Max and how he hadn’t even blinked an eye at me kissing Derrek. He thought I was doing it just to win and I knew that even if we were dating he’d act the same too.