Believe in Me- Chapter 6: Realisation

Flora entered the kitchen of Sherlock's flat and started emptying the shopping bags. It took her a couple of minutes to make out which cupboard was which and where to put everything.
"Oh thank you so much dear," said Mrs Hudson as she entered the kitchen.
"Not at all Mrs Hudson," replied Flora. "Happy to help!"
"Oh jes-" sighed Mrs Hudson. "Sherlock Holmes, come and tidy your equipment away!" Sherlock's experiments where all over the table. There was a odd, bubbling green liquid that had 'deadly' written all over it. Bits of papers and test tubes were scattered everywhere.
Sherlock came into the kitchen with an annoyed expression on his face. "I'm in the middle of an experiment! Something for this case I'm working on. Go and do some cleaning or whatever land lady's do."
"Don't be so sarcastic young man. At least put all your papers into a pile," suggested Mrs Hudson. "And put the test tubes in the rack so they won't fall of the table and smash. I'm certainly not picking them up," and with that she exited the kitchen and went downstairs. Flora had just finished putting the shopping away and she turned to help Sherlock and the mess he'd made.
"Why do you talk to Mrs Hudson like that? She's done a lot for you."
"Hmm I suppose," he muttered. "She's still my landlady."
"That's no excuse," said Flora sternly. Sherlock locked eyes with her. His blue-green ones staring into her hazel eyes. He took a deep breath and said:
"Tell me about your nightmare then."
"Why should I?"
"It's bothering you."
"It's not," she shook her head, losing eye contact and started piling up some of the papers. Flora could feel Sherlock still gazing at her as he leaned on the table.
"It is," he said after a moment. "I can read you like a book, something's nagging away at you. What is it?"
Flora gave up. She sighed and started to tell Sherlock about her dream.
"Well, I was in a swimming pool. It was quite dark so I couldn't see much. Then this man walked in, laughing to himself and he pulled out a gun. He pointed it at me and said the letters 'I.O.U'."
Sherlock froze at the three letters, his eyes wide but he showed no emotion, staring into nothing and his mind whizzing away. Flora noticed there were nicotine patches on his arms.
That's why had had rolled his sleeves up earlier, she thought. I didn't know he smoked but Sherlock knows something, maybe something about this man.
"Recognise it?" She asked curiously.
Sherlock came back into focus and look at Flora with a cold expression. "Not at all," he stood up straight and went to sit down on the sofa beneath the smiley face. Flora took off her coat and threw it over the chair. She decided to go and sit down with him, for a bit of comfort. But she didn't know how Sherlock Holmes would describe 'comforting.' Flora sat down next to Sherlock and smiled kindly.
"Now I can read you like a book. You know who I saw in my dream. Who was it?"
Sherlock placed his hands under his chin. "Jim Moriarty is his name. Me and John met him, weirdly enough, at a swimming pool. He tried to blow up me and John, all for some missile plans that he eventually had no use of..." He trailed off. Flora could see the haunting memories that flashed before his eyes. "I'm sorry, I'm not one for showing emotion but he's the worst person I have ever met."
Jeez, he's pretty traumatised. So he should be if a psychopath like that tried to kill him and John...
"Is there anything I can do to help?" Asked Flora.
"No, it's fi-" Sherlock muttered but was cut off by Flora who gave him a side hug without a second thought. Sherlock stiffened with surprise. "Erm... I, erm... Thank you?"
Flora smiled and let go of Sherlock. "So when are we going to the morgue then?"
"Now would be good," he coughed. He got up and walked steadily over to the door and took his black tweed coat and blue scarf of the hook.
"Okay then," murmured Flora. "I'll just go and take my shopping up." She got up and went into the kitchen, where she had left the second plastic bag. "I'll be back in a sec."
She went upstairs, left the bag on the kitchen work top and hurried downstairs to meet Sherlock.
"Hang on... Where's John? I completely forgot about him!" Flora cried.
"He's gone out with his friend Stamford," replied Sherlock opening the front door. "Won't be back until tonight." He stepped out then let Flora follow before closing the door behind her. Sherlock hailed a passing cab and told him their destination: St Bart's hospital...