Chapter Two

"I can't believe your mom let you go!" Katie smiles as we walk into the airport.

Her mom and dad are walking ahead of us because they're the only ones who know exactly where we're supposed to be going. Zack is walking behind us. I hope I don't feel like a third wheel on this whole trip because nothing is more worse than being the third wheel. Surely Katie won't spend more time with one of us than the other. She wouldn't do that. After all, she did invite me, so I don't think that she would ignore me.

"Yeah, I know." I nod my head. "I'm glad she did."

"They have food on the plane, right?" Zack asks from behind us and we burst out in laughter. "What? It's an honest question."

"Duh, they have food, babe." Katie rolls her eyes.

"Let me rephrase my question. Do they have good food?" He says.

"I don't know, I never really eat airplane food." She shrugs her shoulders. "Our flight is short anyway, you don't need to eat anything."

"I'm kinda hungry now." He states.

"It should be an Applebee's in the airport." She says. "Maybe we can eat something really quickly before we leave."

"I agree to that because I'm hungry, too." I nod my head.

After we grab a quick bite to eat, I call my mother to ensure her that everything is going as planned—plus, we made a deal that I have to update her constantly. I've never been on a plane before, and neither has my mom, so this should definitely make for an interesting story to tell her.

~

After going through security check and boarding the plane, a wave of nausea hits me. I've never been on a plane before. Every trip I have ever taken has been on the road with my family. My aunt, uncle, and mom would switch turns driving and my cousins and I would be in the backseat occupied on our phones and tablets. We never take flights anywhere because traveling by plane is more expensive. We can't afford to pay nearly five-hundred dollars just for one ticket for everyone. I have to remind myself to thank Katie's parents because I know paying for both Zack and I definitely is not cheap.

Katie's parents are well off, though. They live in an uptown neighborhood: a gated community with a golf course, a gym, a pool, and a park. Before Katie and I became close friends I used to think that I didn't have anything in common with her because she had a lot of money and seemed stuck up. I guess I shouldn't have judged a book by its cover because she is honestly one of the most sweetest people that I have ever met. She doesn't like to flaunt her parent's money, and she doesn't think she's better than anyone else.

I'm sitting by the window, trying not to look at how high in the sky I am right now. Katie keeps reassuring me that everything's okay and that we're not going to crash. I keep telling her that saying the word 'crash' is definitely not helping my case. Zack is knocked out with his earphones in his ears; his mouth is wide open and his head is tilted back. It's actually quite hilarious. Maybe I'll just think about how goofy he looks, instead of the clouds we're passing by.

~

I don't know how long we're in the air, or when I fell asleep, but I wake up and am glad that we can get off the plane. I don't think I like riding planes very much. We exit the plane and go to baggage claim. It seems like we are there forever before we finally grab our luggages and make our way outside where a car is already set up for us. Katie's dad said that we didn't need to rent a car if he could pay a driver to do so. Times like this makes me wonder just how much money Katie's family has. They're out here hiring driver's for a week; that's like renting a whole car, but more expensive because you have to compensate the driver.

We arrive to the beach house where we'll be staying, courtesy of Mr. Santon's—Katie's father—boss. This is a spring break trip for the kids and Katie's mom, but it's more like a business deal for Mr. Santon. He has to show his boss why he should become partner of the company he works at. It's a whole lot of complicated things I don't care too much to know about. All I know is that being partner brings a higher status and bigger paycheck. So, he needs to impress his boss.

"This is my boss' beach house that he's letting us rent out for the week." Mr. Santon says as we walk through the door. "He and his family are gonna stay in a hotel. Whenever they come over here, be nice and respectful. I'm trying to be made partner. You guys can have fun, just don't do anything silly. Zack, you sleep in a bedroom downstairs near us and girls you can sleep upstairs."

Mr. Santon gives us the run down.

"Got it." Katie nods her head and motions for me to follow her. "Come on, let's go pick our rooms. Zack we'll be right back."

"Wait, one more thing." Mr. Santon holds up a finger. "My boss and his family are coming over for a barbecue tonight. Dress nicely and act accordingly."

"Yeah, we got it, Dad." Katie waves him off and goes upstairs.

"So, does your dad's boss have any daughters?" I raise my eyebrows as she looks through her suitcase for something to wear.

"Yeah, I think my dad told me that he has a daughter and a son." She nods her head. "I don't really listen to him whenever he talks about his boss."

"I don't blame you." I chuckle.

"Go find something to wear." She shoos me.

"Alright, alright." I roll my eyes and exit the room that she chose.

I go to the bedroom that I'll be staying in and unzip my suitcase. I try to find something cute, yet decent, since Mr. Santon's boss and his family will be accompanying us for dinner. I opt for an off the shoulder shirt, and some black shorts. I cannot wait to wear all my cute outfits out in Florida.

There's so much I want to do: go to Sea World, Disney World, go to the beach, and eat food. Mr. Santon already notified us that we all will be going to Disney World because the company he works for is paying for it. We have to pay to go to Sea World on our own, though. This spring break is definitely going to be the time of my life with my best friend, and one for the books.

•••

•••

How'd you guys like this chapter?