Chapter One

I walk into my fifth period—which is psychology—and plop myself down in my assigned seat. I sit in the very back of the classroom and I love it because I hate being bothered by people. I don't like sitting in the front because I feel like everyone is always staring at me. My mom says it is all in my head, and I always tell her that I need medication for my anxiety. I can barely pay attention in class because of how bad my anxiety is. My brain fogs up sometimes and I get shivers nonstop, so I have to breath to calm myself down. I guess my mom is in denial and she doesn't want me to get pills for my anxiety. It is either that or she just really wants me to be paranoid for the rest of my life. 

Our teacher told us that we were going to have a substitute today and that we needed to bring our books to read a new chapter. I grab my psychology book out of my backpack and begin reading. I don't wait for the substitute teacher to announce his name or today's plan because I already know what we're going to do. No one really pays attention to me in this class because I don't know most of them. The ones I do know don't even talk to me because we're more like acquaintances. Having no friends in this class makes me concentrate a little more on work.

Halfway into the period, long after the tardy bell has rang, the classroom door swings open and Luca Novak walks through. I hate the way he walks; he oozes confidence with each step. His head is held high and a stupid smirk is plastered on his face, as if he knows he is cool. The only cool thing about him is that he sells weed and gives alcohol to minors, as long as they pay him. Other than that, no one cares to associate themselves with him. He has a small circle of friends, similar to I, but I honestly think they fear him. It is better to fear him and to be fake friends than to be on his bad side. He has to know to that no one really likes him. He cannot be that oblivious to the fact.

I roll my eyes as he sits down in front of me, a waft of weed engulfing my nostrils. Leave it to Luca freaking Novak to get high and be late for class. I wouldn't be surprised if he hot-boxed in the school's parking lot at lunch. He is just that stupid. Now I have to smell weed for the rest of the class period. It smells better than cigarettes, but it still has an awful stench to it, especially if it is strong. I cannot be the only one who smells it either. It is crazy, too, because it's not like he's going to get in trouble. The substitute doesn't even look like he wants to be here, so I doubt he'll send him to the office for smelling like weed. Maybe in an alternate universe Luca gets sent to the principal's office and they search his car and locker for weed. He gets locked up and the school is officially free from the wrath of Luca Novak.

I practically sprint out of the classroom when the bell rings to get a breath of fresh air. Well, high school doesn't always have fresh air. Almost every floor and every hallway has some sort of BO smell in it. It's like kids don't know how to take care of themselves and have proper personal hygiene. High school isn't all what it's cracked up to be. The friends are great, we can have our phones out, and eat in class. However, the school's lunch is gross, classes are longer, kids are weird, and the smells are horrendous. I personally cannot wait to leave this place. Luckily for me, I graduate in two months—all the seniors do. Then, I'll be off to college. Well, I'm technically not going off to an university right away. I'm going to go to the local community college to complete my general classes before I transfer to a four year college. My mom promises that I'll be in less debt that way. I think I'm being robbed of a college experience, but we'll see.

We have spring break this month, then a couple weeks after we have prom. I already have my prom dress. I don't have a date, though. I'm just going to go with my small group of friends and hope no one notices that I don't have one. Everyone thinks that you have to have a prom date to make prom fun, but that's not the case. I didn't have a date last year either and I had a blast. I think having a date puts pressure on everything; on things like where to eat dinner, how much to spend, and just constantly worrying about everything being perfect.

Spring break is next week and I still haven't convinced my mom to let me go to Florida with Katie. I don't know why she's so against letting me go with Katie's family. They're not going to let anything bad happen to me, and they're definitely going to keep tabs on us. Katie's parents even offered to pay for everything: my food, gifts, and the activities that we decide to do. They will also pay for my flight—which is rushed because there are only 4 spots left on their plane. She's probably just worried about me going to another state for a week without her. I swear I get my paranoia from her. I keep trying to reassure her that everything will be alright.

The rest of the school day is uneventful, just the same old thing every time. As soon as the last bell rings, I rush to my car. I'm starving and I don't know what I want to eat. My mom probably didn't cook anything because she still needs to go to the grocery store. I think I'll offer to go buy groceries just so she won't have to; or maybe so I can get on her good side. I really do want to go to Florida, so if sucking up to her is the only way, then I'm going to do just that.

I stop at a stop sign on my way out and I'm about to drive off when I see that someone takes my turn. I look through the windshield and see that it's Luca Novak.

"Douchebag." I groan, beeping my car horn. Luca Novak is such a jerk. I shake my head and chuckle. He is probably high right now.

I end up getting Taco Bell on my way home. It's not great but it's not bad either. I should have been going to the gas station, instead of trying to get some food. I literally have thirty miles left. I'll just go to the gas station before school tomorrow morning. I'm too lazy to go to the gas station right now. It takes a lot of energy to pump gas.

"Mama!" I call throughout the house. I saw her car in the driveway, but I don't see her.

"I'm in my room!" She calls.

"I brought you some Taco Bell." I say, placing a separate bag on her bed.

"You got me a chalupa, right?" She raises her eyebrows.

"Yeah." I nod my head. "I'm 'bout to go in my room. Holla if you need me." I sing a part of Trey Songz's song.

"I won't." She laughs.

I'm halfway to my room when I realize I should try and persuade her about going to Florida, so I turn around. I enter her room with a big smile on my face. I need to let Katie's parents know by yesterday so they can purchase my ticket for the flight that they are on. Time is ticking, and we don't have much left.

"Girl, what do you want?" She looks at me.

"To talk."

"About what?"

"Spring break and how you should let me go to Florida with Katie and her parents." I say, cheesing extra hard.

"No." She shakes her head.

"Why not?" I frown. "You know Katie and her parents. They're paying for everything. They invited me, so why not?"

"Because I don't trust all those planes and all that." She waves me off. "Anything can go wrong."

"Mama, being in the air is the safest way to travel." I cross my arms over my chest. "Please, just let me go. I've been asking you for forever."

"So, you sure they paying for everything?" She raises her eyebrows.

"Yes." I nod my head.

"Then, I guess you can go. But you gotta call me before you get on plane, when you get to Florida, and when you're leaving. And you gotta text me everyday." She points a finger at me.

"Okay." I nod my head and run towards her bed. I give her a long, tight hug before skipping to my room with a giddy attitude.

I quickly call Katie and she picks up on the third ring.

"I can go to Florida!" I squeal.

•••

This is my new story, let me know if you guys like it!