The Funeral

*Chris POV*

I went home after sitting with Jacobs body for more than 12 hours. After all, I did promise mom I'd be back. I came home still in tears. I didn't know what to do anymore. My life was over. I met true love and the next day, it vanished. It was like I was destined to be miserable.

I walked in and my mom was out cold on the couch. I sat beside her and hugged her tight. She woke up and noticed that I have been crying.

"Hey, hey... Christopher... honey... what's wrong?" She held me in her arms and caressed my arms.

"I-I was g-gonna tell you something last night....." I started but it felt like a ball slid into my throat. I had a hard time talking.

"Tell me what hun," She was the most loving mother I knew. She'd help me through anything.

"Mom.... I'm gay...."

"I already knew hun, that's nothing to cry about..."

"That's not all...."

"What else?"

"I had a boyfriend.... I loved him so much," I started to cry again.

"If he broke up with you, you are just too good for him,"

"No mom.... he's dead...." I buried my face into her chest.

"Oh my God...." She hugged me and told me it will all be okay. It was the first time I didn't believe her. I truly didn't believe that it would be okay.

At that time, I got another phone call. I wiped my eyes and read the number. It was the doctor again. My hopes jumped through the roof. My thoughts raced. Maybe they brought him back! Maybe he's awake!

"Hello?"

"Is this Chris?"

"Yes, it is,"

"Ok. I want to give you a set of information. Jacobs funeral will be held at North Paw square. We are giving him an honored burial. His name will be displayed on the wall of heroes. It will be on Thursday, October 17. Thank you," He hung up. October 17th was my birthday... how would I bring myself to go to it. On my birthday above all. I cried for hours. And didn't leave the couch for hours either.

------------------------------------------

October 17,

The day was very rainy. I had school that day but my mom was going to pick me up around lunchtime. I sat at breakfast with my head down. Someone big sat next to me. I looked up. It was Andrew.

"Hey, Chris! How's it going buddy?" I just looked at him. I couldn't speak. I didn't want to start crying again so I just put my head back down.

"Hey, buddy, talk to me. I'm concerned. You haven't talked in three days. It's not you. There's a guy who wants to see you," Andrew said. He pointed to a wolf with yellow hair and grey fur. He had one grey eye and the other was yellow. He was kinda cute. I looked back at Andrew.

"What does he want?" I said noticing how raspy my voice was.

"He said he needed to talk to you. He has something important to tell you," I was upset as it was and dropped my backpack and stormed over to him.

"I'm needed?" I asked him.

"Uh.... you could be a little more respectful to furs you don't know. Anyway, I'm Vert," he said holding his paw out. I just looked at it. "Never mind," he finally said.

"Just tell me what you want so I can finish off my miserable life," I said impatiently.

"I have one of your friends. So he says you're his friend. His names Nick. So you know him?" He asked.

"I do. Now can I leave?"

"I thought friends stuck with each other..."

"Well, I have problems of my own right now!"

"Oh! I'm gonna go around sulking because I can't deal with the problems of life." He mocked.

Rage flowed through me and I almost swung at him. I kept it in and instead went off with words.

"YOU KNOW WHAT?! HOW ABOUT YOU LOSE YOUR BOYFRIEND OR GIRLFRIEND THAT YOU TRULY LOVE AND TELL ME HOW YOU FEEL WHEN YOURE SCHEDULED TO GO TO HIS OR HER FUNERAL ON YOUR BIRTHDAY!!! THEN TELL ME HOW YOU FEEL. If you can be happy after that, you have no heart. You don't need to be here," I stormed off and left campus. Everyone in the cafeteria was silent as I went off. I'm sure I said it to more than just that Vert guy. A lot of them needed to hear that. I needed to say it. It felt good getting it off my chest. Though I did feel bad for yelling at him.

I walked home to find my mother still there. It was only an hour since she dropped me off at school.

"Hey, why are you home so early?" She asked hugging me.

"I raged at someone in front of the whole school. I didn't want to stay," I wasn't crying anymore. I was just there. I felt I had no place in the world. I promised Jacob that I'd be happy but I didn't know how. I didn't know when or even where.

"Hun, it's ok. You do things you can't help. I understand. I love you to death.... maybe saying that wasn't a good idea today. But I do. I love you. You had every right to go off," She was too caring. I didn't know how she loved me as much as she did. It was kinda ironic that she say she loved me to death on the day of a funeral.

"Thanks mom.." I said.

------------------------------------------

That afternoon was the funeral. We got to ride in a limousine which was pretty cool. Once we arrived, I felt a wave of sorrow fill the air. I looked around. I saw Jacobs mom and dad already there. His mom was crying and his dad just stood there. Like he didn't even care. I walked over to his mom.

"Hello..." I said. "You must be Jacobs mom?"

She nodded. "You must be Chris," She said wiping tears from her face.

"Yes ma'am. I am..." I replied.

"Ok..." She actually hugged me. Now I know where Jacob got his hugs from. It reminded me so much of him that I hugged back a didn't let go.

Throughout the funeral, I cried and cried. When I went to his coffin, I saw his face. It had no life. It used to be full of life and he used to have a smile. I wanted to see his eyes one last time so I opened them and cried. They were dull and grey. They had no life either. I closed them. I kissed his lips and his head, "I love you, Jacob.."

And with that, the ceremony of the burial began. I watched them fill it and set the tomb stone. I stayed there even after they all left. It was getting dark but I stayed there with him. I kept reading his tombstone.

It read his last words,

"Tell Chris that I love him. And to live a life full of love and laughter. I will always be with him. I want him to live his dreams. He can do it. He promised me he would,"