She leaned backwards into her saddle and the dragon peeled away, leaving behind the faint whiff of brimstone that many dragons seemed to have. 

“I’m glad you don’t smell like that,” Hiccup whispered, even though Astrid was well out of earshot. “Although your morning breath is something to be reckoned with.”

Toothless growled in mock anger, then suddenly Hiccup was upside down, his head hovering inches above the water.

“That’s new,” Hiccup said. “I didn’t know you could fly upside- ” his words were cut short by a mouthful of sea water.

“I need to take you flying over the forests,” Hiccup gasped when his head finally cleared the water. “Then I won’t have to put up with these shenanigans!”

Hiccup righted himself with a click of his leg, then took Toothless up to the mouth of the nearest viking statue, where he could see the chubby form of his friend, Fishlegs. His dragon was a dark brown Gronkle, a stout dragon with tiny wings and a mouth like a bulldog. Its stubby round tail waggled as Toothless landed beside him and the two jostled each other good-naturedly. 

The dragon had just finished belching flames at a large torch in the middle, but the wood was sodden from rain that morning. 

“Careful Fishlegs, you only get six tries at that!” Hiccup grinned, dismounting and patting the nervous boy on the back.

“Shot limit six, firepower fourteen…” Fishlegs muttered, prodding at the wet firewood.

“Need some help?” Hiccup asked, looking over at the other viking statue across the water. He could see Snotlout’s Monstrous Nightmare making short work of the torch, blasting it so hard that the metal embrasures glowed red hot. Snotlout took a bow, then blew a raspberry at them and flew off, his job done. 

“If you don’t mind Hiccup, I’d really appreciate it,” Fishlegs stuttered, pointing out at the ocean. “Ruffnut and Tuffnut are still out there and they’ll need the beacons if they’re going to make their way home tonight! Meatlug’s already had five tries.”

“Toothless, can you help us out with the torch there buddy?” Hiccup asked. 

Toothless looked up from his tussle with Meatlug and then nudged a bag attached to his saddle.

“No Toothless, those fish are for Gobber. It’s payment for making you a new harness after you accidentally burned the last one…and chewed it…and buried it under the house.”

Toothless pouted, then shrugged his wings and returned to wrestling Meatlug.

“I’m sorry Fishlegs,” Hiccup said loudly, turning his back on the dragons. “Toothless gets really tired after these long flights. He doesn’t have the stamina Meatlug does.” 

He smiled as the scuffling behind him suddenly stopped.

“I wish he had six shots, you’ll be lucky to get two a day out of a Night Fury,” Hiccup continued with exaggerated exasperation. “You’d be better off getting Meatlug to have one last go. Even if Toothless did have the energy, Meatlug would probably have a better chance of lighting it anyway.”

There was a blast of heat from behind him and the sound of crackling flames. Hiccup turned around and grinned as Toothless backed away from the fire looking very pleased with himself, smoke curling from his nostrils. 

“Well done Meatlug!” Hiccup said, ignoring Toothless. “I knew you had it in you!”

The Gronkle was napping on his side, tired out after his wrestling match with Toothless. Toothless nosed at Hiccup’s arm and nodded at the flames, yipping with confusion.

“I know Toothless, didn’t he do well!”

Hiccup patted the Gronkle’s bumpy body as the fat dragon snorted in his sleep. Toothless emitted a grunt of frustration, then sighed in defeat. 

“Serves you right, you greedy thing,” Hiccup muttered under his breath with a wry smile. 

“I’ll catch you at the meeting tonight, Hiccup” Fishlegs said gratefully. “Thanks for the help!” 

“No thanks needed, it was Meatlug who did all the work!” Hiccup replied with a wink.

He leaped onto Toothless’s back and the dejected dragon took off, gliding above the water. Toothless’s shoulders were hunched and his head hung low.

“Oh stop pouting you big baby, I know it was you that lit the torch. Don’t be so greedy next time!” Hiccup said, patting the dragon’s side.

Immediately Toothless perked up with a joyful grunt, zipping them along until they were hovering above the village.

Even in the gentle glow of the setting sun, the village was a kaleidoscope of colour. Flocks of multicoloured Terrible Terror’s swooped through the air, snapping at each other’s tails and tumbling onto the roofs. Piles of Gronkles lay in the fields, snoring in unison with throaty rumbles. All over the village, dragons roosted on every beam and ledge, spreading their wings to catch the last of the sun’s rays before the cold night descended.

“It’s good to be home,” Hiccup sighed happily, guiding them through the sky. With a gentle tilt of his leg, they descended to Hiccup’s hut at the back of Gobber’s workshop.

“Nice of ye tae show up laddie!” Gobber said, limping out from the shadows. “Your father told me to tell ye to get your skinny arse tae the meetin’ pronto!” 

“Alright alright, that’s the second reminder I’ve had today!” Hiccup exclaimed, unbuckling the saddle from Toothless’s back and holding up the satchel full of fish. “Do you still want your salmon?” 

“Aye, give it here,” Gobber said eagerly, deftly snagging the bag as Hiccup threw it to him. “It’ll make a nice stew for tonight.”

Toothless’s ears perked up and he licked his chops, eyeing the satchel greedily.

“And it’s not for dragons, ye great bottomless pit!” Gobber growled, pointing the hammer on the end of his stump threateningly. “If I come back and it’s gone, there’s gonna be a reckonin’.”

“It’s alright, Toothless can come with me. Problem solved,” Hiccup suggested, rubbing the green eyed dragon behind his ears.

“No…eh…no. Vikings only,” Gobber said mysteriously. “Let’s go now, no time tae dilly dally. You walk along with me, us one legged warriors need tae stick together!”

Gobber dropped the satchel by his door and stomped off.

“Alright Toothless, I’m going to find out what all the fuss is about. Behave yourself until I get back.” 

Toothless grinned, revealing his pink gums, and licked Hiccup’s face. 

“Urgh, you need to wash your mouth out!” Hiccup groaned, wiping at his cheeks. “It’s like I just got slapped in the face by a rotten sturgeon. Maybe Gobber can do something about that.”

Toothless laughed his throaty laugh, then settled on the ground to wait.

“Well, come on!” Gobber shouted over his shoulder. “The meeting’s about to start.”

Hiccup sighed and ran after him, stumbling over the uneven ground with his metal leg. 

“How’s the leg treating ye?” Gobber asked when he caught up. “Is it workin’ okay?”

“Yeah, it took a while for Toothless to get used to it, but it’s fine now.”

“He’s a clever dragon, but ye’ve got tae be strict with him, or he’ll never learn,” Gobber instructed. “Toothless knows I won’t cross him if he doesn’t cross me. You could take a page out of my book. I’ve been workin’ with dragons since ye were naught but a wee babe!”

Hiccup looked over his shoulder to see Toothless pawing at Gobber’s satchel, nosing at the opening with his snout.

 “I’ll keep that in mind,” Hiccup said with a smile.

If you liked this chapter, please don't forget to vote!