"Holy shit, Alice." He slammed his palm on the table and laughed. "You'd better lock that down 'cause there's no way you're gonna meet anyone else who watches movies."

    "Oh, fuck off," she said, staring at the door, suddenly feeling more eager to leave. "You don't need to have things in common to have a good relationship. Opposites attract, right?"

    "You know, I think that phrase is ridiculous," he said. "I've dated a lot of girls who weren't anything like me and it always ends with them screeching at me for...doing the things I do."

    "That's because you're a jerk sometimes, Isaac," she said slowly, patting him on the shoulder as if she was talking to a child. "I doubt they're screeching at you because you don't have things in common. They're probably screeching because you're being a dick."

    "Well, fine, if that's the logic you want to side with..." he said. "Mark treated you like garbage for so long. Why did you go back to that?"

    "Oh, please," she said. "You probably treat girls like garbage way more often than he does."

    "Well, yeah, most likely. But that's only because of the sheer volume of women I date compared to him. I mean, come on," he smirked as he puffed out his chest, motioning his hands to his entire body. Alice scoffed but he continued, "but I can safely say, without a fucking doubt in my mind, I would never expect any of the women I may have hurt to come back to me."

    "He didn't expect me to go back to him," she argued. "I chose to go back to him."

    "Oh, please," Isaac said. "No offense, but can you truly tell me that you truly believe Mark hasn't been aware of how you've felt this entire time? And that he hasn't just kept you on the backburner until he felt ready?"

    Her heart began to race and she narrowed her eyes before reaching for her coat again. "See? You're being a jerk right now."

    He pressed his palm to his forehead.

    "Fuck, you're right. I am being a dick. Sorry," he said, pinching the bridge of his nose with his eyes closed. When she relaxed back in her seat he said, "Let me rephrase what I'm trying to say."

    "Fine."

    "Okay, so, you two have been involved with each other for what...nine years?" She nodded. "Alright, so...why haven't you tried, I dunno, dating someone else in that time?"

    "Well, it's not like I haven't tried," she cried as she slumped into her seat. "I've been on dozens of dates."

    He turned his knees towards her. "Then why haven't you stayed with any of them?"

    "It's not my choice. None of them ever like me or call back..." she frowned as she stirred her straw around her drink. "I'm ugly or something..."

    "Pffft," he scoffed. "Fuck off."

    She narrowed her eyes. "What?"

    "You're not ugly."

    "Thanks, but I don't need your pity compliments."

    "I'm being serious!" he said. "You're pretty."

    She huffed and looked away from him. "Whatever, Isaac."

    "Oh, come on. I've made about a hundred comments insinuating that I find you pretty."

    "Yeah, but," she fiddled with her fingers, "you say them...ironically."

    "No I don't!"