Forty Six

"Soooo," Emily said, sitting on the edge of Alice's bed, watching watched Alice apply a third layer of mascara over her lashes. "You're really going out with Derek tonight, huh?"

"Uh-huh," Alice mumbled as she blotted a black smudge under her eye.

"And you think that's a good idea?"

"Sure do."

"You don't think you're acting a little... impulsively?"

"Nope."

"Oookay..." Emily said and Alice could see her narrow her eyes in the reflection of the mirror. "And you're planning on wearing Isaac's sweater out?"

Snapping her neck down to her chest, Alice quietly moaned when she realized she was wearing the black sweater. Even though she made a mental note to remove it before Emily arrived to avoid the accusation, there it was. She grabbed the zipper and yanked it down, pulling off the sweater and dropping it on the ground between her thumb and index finger, as if it was worthless.

"It's comfy," Alice muttered as she returned to the mirror, finishing up her eye makeup.

"Sure it is," Emily said, no longer interested in the sweater, but rather the low cut black dress that clung to Alice's body, grazing the middle of her thigh. Her pink lips curved to the side and she raised her brow. "So, is Derek getting lucky tonight?"

"Emily!" Alice gasped and slamming her eyeliner on the desk. "We're just going out for a few drinks, I'm not going to sleep with him."

"Then what's with the 'Fuck Me' dress you've got going on?"

Alice rolled her eyes.

"It's not a 'Fuck Me' dress," she said. "I just want to look nice and it's all I had clean... is that such a crime?"

"Ohhh," Emily said, tapping her lips. "So, it's a 'Fuck You, Isaac' dress?"

This time, Alice spun around in her chair and squared her shoulders with Emily, folding her arms. "I don't know, Emily, you gave me this dress a year ago. You tell me what kind of dress it is."

"Uhh, already did. It's a 'Fuck Me' dress," Emily said and Alice turned back to the mirror. "And no need to get snappy with me. I'm still pretty peeved that you hid this like, big scandalous affair from me, after all."

Alice moaned and massaged her temples with her fingers.

"I'm sorryyy, Em. I didn't mean to," she said, running her hand through her hair. A weight that had been sitting in her chest dropped to her stomach. "Everything is so messed up right now. I don't know what the hell I'm doing..."

"Uhh, duh. Why do you think I'm worried about you going out with Derek?" Emily reached into her purse and pulled out a plastic bag of carrot sticks. She extended her arm to Alice, offering her one, but Alice frowned and quickly shook her head. Shrugging, Emily grabbed a carrot for herself and happily chomped down.

"Okay, so," Emily said and finished swallowing the carrot. "I'm sure by now it's obvious I'm not Isaac's biggest fan."

"Oh. My. God." The first smile of the day broke on Alice's face as she gasped in mock surprise, pressing her hands to her chest. "I had absolutely no idea."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," Emily said, rolling her eyes. "And you know that I think Derek is a giant pot of sex, and I would fully support you using his body for a night of multiple orgasms."

"Well, thank you for the support," Alice said, snickering at Emily's bluntness.

"And even though I didn't have the pleasure of witnessing any of yours and Isaac's relationship," she paused to glare at Alice, who shrunk in her seat, "I...I know how much you care about him, and it's obvious to everyone how great you two would actually be together, so... I know this must be hurting you. Like, a lot. I'm not sure if going out with Derek solely to spite Isaac is such a great idea."