chapter 3

Rosie Evans

     The first week of sophomore year went by fast. Before I knew it, it was the weekend. In all of our classes we were just going over rules and expectations stuff like that. Richie and Beverly were both in the majority of my classes but never both together. Richie was in my chemistry, PE, and world history class while Bev was in geometry, english, and spanish with me.

     This weekend Bev is going to sleepover at my house to get away from her dad. His drinking habits get bad on the weekends and I had insisted Bev to spend the weekend at my house. After half a week of begging and pleading she said that she would think about it and with Bev that meant that she had already said yes.

   Bev and I rode the bus to my house since she already had her stuff for the weekend with her. It was a good change having someone to talk to on the bus instead of being alone with only my thoughts. We talked the whole way home including loud and obnoxious laughing which resulted in both us having a hard time breathing and calming ourselves down.

     We got off the bus and started the journey home. Bev looked down at the ground as she walked, completely spacing out.

   "What's wrong Bev? And don't say nothing because you always look at the ground and space out when something is wrong."

    "Do you think the situation with my dad will get better? Like do you think that he'll eventually stop drinking and stop-" She cut herself of not wanting to continue her thought. I understood what that meant though.

     "Do you want an honest answer or the optimistic answer?"

     "Be honest."

     "Honestly, I'm sorry to say this Bev but I don't think he will stop or 'get better'. Habits to the extent that he has taken them is out of their control of stopping." I looked over and saw that she had stopped walking. I didn't say anything, I just walked up to her and gave her a hug.

     It kills me that she has to be the one who has to go through this. That's how life works though, bad things always happen to good people. Life is unfair that way.

     The rest of the walk to my house was filled with a comfortable silence. When we got to my house, I took out my house key and opened the door for us. My mother seemed to be in the kitchen while my dad was in the living room painting something.

     "Hey girls, How was your day at school? Fun?" My mother asked from the kitchen while multitasking and making some sort of casserole.

     "Great." "Good" Bev and I answered

     "Bev's gonna stay over this weekend? Is that okay?" I asked my mom

     "Of course. That's fine. Beverly, honey, you're welcome to stay here whenever you like." My mom had always been very open to having friends over at the house as long as we didn't do anything crazy.

     "Thank you Mrs. Evans."

     "Alright. On that note we're gonna go to my room. Love you guys." I grabbed Bev's hand as I made a dash for my room.

     "See, didn't I tell you that my mom loves you. Anyways, what do you want to do?"

     "Lets play a game! Hmmmm, truth or dare?" The red head suggested

     "Sure lets do it. You go first since you suggested it."

     "Truth or dare?" "Truth."

     "Other than Richie, do you like anyone at Derry High School?"

     "I haven't really thought about it. Sure there's some attractive guys there but they don't come close to Richie."