Part 34- November 10th 1969

Start from the beginning

The Doctor's surgery was only a short walk from the house. She arrived with a few minutes to spare and sat in the waiting room and caught her breath. Although she was trying to keep as mobile as possible, she was finding her rapidly expanding girth made walking much more of an effort than before her pregnancy. After a short wait she was called in. Then, checks done, she and the babies were declared fit and well. Pleased with the news, she walked back towards the house, stopping about half way to call on her dad as planned. She slipped the key in the door as always and let herself in.

"Dad!" she called, "Dad, are you here?"

The kitchen door opened. "Hello Lucy love. You're dad's just on the phone. He won't be long."

"Rose!" Lucy looked surprised. "You don't normally work for dad on a Thursday!"

Rose blushed slightly. "He rang and asked me to do some extra hours Lucy love. Don't worry. You're dad's paying me, not Paul."

"But dad's alright though, isn't he?" Lucy asked, still alarmed.

"I'm fine sweetheart, don't worry!" Lucy turned and saw Daniel appear from his study. "How was your midwife appointment?"

Lucy looked from Daniel to Rose then hugged her father. "Everything is looking good." She smiled, "We've all been given a clean bill of health!"

"Wonderful!" Daniel put his arm across Lucy's shoulders. "Come on through to the kitchen then Lucy. Lunch is ready. I hope you're hungry!"

"Would you mind if I just gave Paul a call. He made me promise to ring him when I got here."

Daniel smiled at Lucy's comment. Paul's concern for her was good to see. He nodded. "Thanks dad. I won't be long."

Lucy spoke briefly to Paul then headed into the kitchen to join her dad. She stopped in the doorway, surprised to see Rose sat next to Daniel, a plate of food in front of her and the two chatting. Daniel looked up.

"Paul OK?" He asked brightly.

Lucy nodded. "Yes, he's fine." She sat down facing Rose. "I didn't realise Rose would be here dad."

"Is that a problem Lucy?" asked Rose, putting her cutlery down, "If you'd rather I'd leave?"

"No, No, Rose I'm sorry it came out very rude of me. No, I just meant I was surprised that you were here."

"I asked Rose if she could do some extra hours love," said Daniel, "I've been really busy lately so Rose has been cooking for me."

Lucy laughed. She could see the appeal of Rose cooking for her father. She was an amazing cook! "I can see why you'd want Rose to cook for you dad! Paul and I love it when she does things for us too!" said Lucy. She turned to Rose, "I'm sorry Rose for sounding so offhand and rude before. I didn't intend to."

Rose glanced at Daniel and then smiled. "There's no offence taken Lucy, you know that!"

The threesome chatted over lunch and caught up with their news. Then, just after two o'clock Lucy yawned.

"Sorry!" She yawned again, "I'm going to head home now dad," she told him, "It's my nap time!"

"What do you mean, nap time?" Daniel laughed.

"I always have a nap this time each day. It helps me catch up on my disturbed sleep from during the night!" She patted her tummy, "These two dance on my bladder all night!"

"I remember that especially with my third daughter!" said Rose, "It drove me mad!"

Lucy and Rose laughed together then Lucy stood up.