01 | ❛ The Character ❜

Madame Hydra ❜ 

Viper (Madame Hydra): Film Industry

Publication InformationPublisher Marvel ComicsFirst appearance Avengers: Age of UltronCreated by Jim Steranko ( writer / artist )In-story informationAlter ego Ophelia SarkissianTeam affiliations Hydra , AvengersNotable Aliases Viper, Madame HydraA...

Publisher Marvel Comics
First appearance Avengers: Age of Ultron
Created by Jim Steranko ( writer / artist )
In-story information
Alter ego Ophelia Sarkissian
Team affiliations Hydra , Avengers
Notable Aliases Viper, Madame Hydra
Abilities Excellent strategist and tactician, skilled martial artist, swordswoman and marksman, electrokinesis, enhanced strength and agility 

Viper (real name Ophelia Sarkissian, formerly known as ) is a fictional supervillain appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. She is a foe of the Avengers and the X-Men.

Publication History
Viper was created by Jim Steranko and first appeared in Captain America #110 (February 1969)[Comic Series] and Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 2015)[Film Industry].

Fictional Character Biography
Ophelia Sarkissian was orphaned as a child in Hungary. Part of her face was scarred at one time, although it has since been healed. Among twelve other girls, Ophelia was taken in by Hydra and raised by Kraken. For twelve years, Ophelia excelled and became Kraken's best student. She eventually rose through the ranks of Hydra and frequently came into conflict with S.H.I.E.L.D. She first appeared as a commander of Hydra under the codename Madame Hydra, and first fought with the Avengers alongside villain Ultron. She captured Natasha Romanoff and was planning to bury her alive before Ultron took away her victory with a larger plan. 

Ultimately knowing Ultron would not share his role once Earth had been destroyed, Clint Barton was able to admit her help against the tyrant just like he had done for Wanda and Pietro Maximoff - two former comrades of Ophelia.

Earning the name 'Viper' from Tony Stark's remark on the speed she moved in and the electricity she could manipulate, Ophelia became an addition to the Avengers just as Wanda Maximoff, James Rhodes, the Vision, and Sam Wilson had.

She later trained as an Avenger and is rumored to appear in Captain America: Civil War as a reformed hero, but it is uncertain which team she will fight with.

Personal Information
Ophelia is known to have been fourteen years old in Avengers: Age of Ultron, though is nearly thirty in the traditional comics. Her age in the film makes her a teenager, however, as she is followed with a camera in the movie, it's seen that she does not understand American customs and traditions and spends her time trying to adjust to her surroundings.

Ophelia is determined to have revenge on the Avengers for what they had done to Hydra, though she was not given the entire story. Kidnapped at two and raised to fight without question and to hate S.H.I.E.L.D., it's no surprise that even as Clint recruits her to his side of the battle, she is still uncertain and doesn't know right from wrong.

Ophelia is very untrusting and doesn't like to lose, so she spends the entire film doing the opposite of what Pietro Maximoff says and criticizes his every move.

After his death, Ophelia is hardly affected as death doesn't mean much to her, however, she does see that people come and go and that in order to stay she must work harder.

As she tries to become a person with more emotion and understand American customs, Ophelia is seen to become very frustrated while battling Ultron alongside Clint. She is also seen having horrifying memories while battling Ultron as the battle resurfaces past memories with Hydra. Knowing this, Steranko has admitted to this being a common trait in the character and viewers will see her past returning to haunt her in the future.

She does, although, see Natasha as a mentor of example after the woman had graduated from the Red Room - a program Ophelia was well aware of - and would be able to teach her some things.

Her friendships include Clint Barton, Natasha Romanoff, Steve Rogers, Wanda Maximoff, and Thor. Her enemies include Ultron and Hydra affiliations - after Clint had persuaded her otherwise - and her frenemies include Tony Stark, Bruce Banner, and Pietro Maximoff.

Powers and abilities
Viper has the superhuman ability of electrokinesis after going through stages of testing in Hydra after her kidnapping. Her strength, speed, reflexes, agility, dexterity, coordination, balance and endurance are on the order of an Olympic athlete, as well. She is a great swordswoman and even greater markswoman with most long range weapons, and has extensive training in hand-to-hand combat. A brilliant strategist and tactician with extensive combat tactical experience, Viper is highly skilled in the management of criminal organizations and very well connected in the international criminal underworld. She is also a master of stealth and espionage. Perhaps her greatest strengths are her influence, the financial resources at her disposal due to her stature in organized crime, and an uncanny luck which has allowed her to cheat death in situations where lesser people would have died. 

Film
Blair Sprouse was cast as Viper in the 2015 film Avengers: Age of Ultron. In the film, her character is portrayed just as depicted above and Steranko has confirmed that Sprouse will be reprising her role as Viper soon.