Chapter Twenty Eight

Start from the beginning

Mom glanced at me before looking back down at her plate. Dimitri didn't bother sparing a glance. Instead he ate and scrolled through his phone.

The sound of my heels were the only sound in the room as I walked and took a seat next to Collin. He gave me a weird look, but I ignored it and soon a plate was brought out.

I couldn't even imagine growing up in a household like this. My poor little brother doesn't even know any different. It makes me sick just thinking about it. My father may not have had money, but he sure as hell has happiness. I wouldn't trade my childhood for the world.

"When are you divorcing Knight?" Dimitri asked.

I looked up at him to see a sinister smirk on his face. My eyes narrowed. "We're not."

"But you're here." No shit, Sherlock.

"Good observation." I sarcastically said.

His smirk fell into a scowl. I knew he wouldn't bring anything up about trying to take over Alex's company in front of my mother. He wasn't that stupid. "You should leave him before it's too late." I knew what his words meant. They had a secret message that he knew I'd get.

"I could say the same for you." I said as sweetly as possible.

His jaw was hard as his eyes turned into slits. I swear if looks could kill I'd be dead by now. "Anastasia—"

"Desert?" Annabelle came out with a tray of assorted deserts, cutting him off. She passed out each plate and I took note on how he was watching her every move. Not watching— checking her out. I also noticed the not so subtle wink she sent his way.

My mother and Collin were oblivious to the obvious flirting going on right in front of them. Of course Collin is too young to really even know what flirting is. My mom was looking down for an awfully long time and I had a feeling she wasn't so oblivious to it after all.

After dinner we all went to our rooms. I felt my phone buzz and answered quickly when I saw Alex's name.

"Hello?"

"Hi, baby. How is everything?" I wanted to melt at the sound of his voice. It sounded huskier and I knew that meant he was getting tired. Alexander was kind of like an old man. It's like right when eight o clock hit he was ready to for sleep.

"Do you really need me to answer?"

He sighed. "That bad?"

"Just usual. I wouldn't expect anything else. Plus I think Dimitri is cheating on my mom." I lowered my voice especially saying the last part.

"With who?" I heard noise in the background and another sigh. He probably just got into bed. I wish I was there with him.

"The maid." I snorted. How cliche was that?

"Doesn't surprise me." He muttered. "I wish you were here." He read my mind.

"Me too," I sighed. "I should hang up before anyone hears me. I have a feeling Diana has spies all over the place." I half joked.

"Alright be careful. I love you, Ana."

"I love you."

The next few hours went by and it was now nearly midnight. I almost fell asleep a few times, but somehow woke up each time. I got out of the bed and grabbed my phone before opening the door.

I stuck my head out and checked the hallway to see if anyone was there. When the coast was clear I walked quietly downstairs. The whole house was dark and I figured everyone was sleeping. The moon shining in from the windows was the only light source I had to see.