Chapter Three

I repacked my bags and went downstairs with the fairly large suitcases. At the end of the stairway was Alexander, mother, and Dimitri. I hadn't even gotten a chance to see Collin since he was attending summer camp for the week.

"Let me get those for you, Ms. Rivera." One of the many butlers said as he took my bags.

I pressed my tongue to the top of my mouth to try and stop any tears that threatened to fall. "Can we go?" I snapped, not making eye contact with any of them.

"Of course," Alexander's smooth voice said. I knew he was looking at me, but I continued avoiding his gaze and just followed beside him out the door.

"Thank you, Anastasia." I heard my mother say.

I ignored her knowing I'd say something I shouldn't. Not that I'd regret it.

A man opened the door to the large black SUV and I got in, sliding all the way over. Alexander got in and was seated closer to me than I would have liked.

The car ride was quiet and awkward. It wasn't too long of a drive, maybe twenty minutes. I watched out the tinted window as the large buildings flew by. New York City was ugly. I loved cities, but this one was too big. It reminded me of the colors brown and gray. You could smell the stench from garbage as we passed certain areas. I never wanted to be home so badly.

Moments later we pulled into what looked like a hotel. As we stopped I was about to open my door, but Alexander quickly reached over to me and held my hand in his.

I turned my face to shoot him a glare, but was taken back by how close he was to me.

"Do not open that door," his tone serious.

I raised an eyebrow, challenging him.

"There will be paparazzi outside so stay close." He instructed and before I knew it, his door was open revealing many flashes of cameras going off. I didn't have a chance to take it in because Alexander had grasped my hand in his yet again and pulled me from the car.

"Alexander!"

"Mr. Knight, over here!"

"Who's this with you?!"

The questions were asked one after the other as they continued taking pictures.

Alexander's hand let go of mine but was placed on the small of my back as he lead my through the people and into the building. Two other men followed us into the elevator and I assumed they were bodyguards for Alexander.

The elevator stopped at the 21st floor and when the doors opened it revealed a lavish looking pent house. It was bigger than my house alone. Across from me were windows, floor to ceiling, revealing the skyline of the city. I couldn't deny that from this view New York actually was pretty.

"Whoa," I couldn't help but breathe out. "I can't believe you live in this building."

He chuckled. "I own this building." Surprise, surprise. "Let me show you to your room." He said, once again placing his hand at the small of my back.

I reached behind me and held his wrist to take it off my back. He just glanced down at me, amusement clearly in his eyes. "No touching," I said sternly.

With a smirk he raised his hands in defense. "No touching," he agreed.

I followed him up the beautiful staircase and down the hall. He opened the door and get another beautiful room was in front of me. This was smaller than my mother's, but the view was beyond words. You could see past the city and the ocean. It was something out of a dream.