Chapter 10: Reality Check

Start from the beginning

"I don't wanna leave you here by yourself, though." I say.

Hana chuckles. "You worry too much. I'll be fine, Kiba. Promise."

"Fine, fine. I'll go later, ok?"

"Ok." She smiles and hugs me tightly.

Frankly, I just want to stay here with Hana and make sure she's ok, even though I know she isn't; I want to be here for her. (Ok, so I'm being selfish by spending more time with Hana instead of Hinata. Sue me.)

"I just wanna stay here a little longer." I say.

"How sweet of you," she says sarcastically. "I'm overflowing with happiness."

I roll my eyes. "Well, if that's how you really feel about it--"

She sighs and slaps my shoulder. "Urusai, baka--you know I love you and your sweet self. Just go to her! I'll still be here when you get back."

I smile and once more kiss her forehead. "Ok, Nee-chan, I'll go."

"Don't be stupid!" she calls as I walk out of the house.

"I won't!" I call back, hoping I don't jinx anything.

~•~•~

"So, you're not upset?" I nervously ask Hinata as we walk around Konoha hand in hand.

She shakes her head. "Of course not, Kiba-kun. I knew you'd be with your mom." She smiles and my heart melts.

How did I ever get so lucky? I sigh in relief. "You're too nice, Hinata."

She blushes, which I find adorable. "And you're too mean," she replies.

I chuckle, already feeling better. "Yeah, I know. I'm working on it."

"You keep saying that, but I think you're trying to please me." She gives me a stern look, but then flashes a smile.

"Ok, you got me," I say. "Guilty as charged."

She laughs. "I knew it! I'm hurt, Kiba-kun!" She fakes a pout, which I also find adorable.

I kiss her cheek, which causes her to blush uncontrollably. She's so damn cute.

"Oi, Kiba, you better stop embarrassing her or she'll faint," says a voice that can only belong to Shikamaru.

Hinata blushes even more but says nothing. She turns and looks at him.

I turn around and smirk. "Urusai, you lazy bum."

He chuckles and pulls out a cigarette. He lights it and puts it in his mouth. "Gomen, Hinata. I just enjoy annoying Kiba, here."

She nods. "It's fine, Shikamaru-kun."

I roll my eyes. "So, what're you up to?"

He shrugs and blows out a puff of smoke. "I'm gonna see Ino; she's sick and under house arrest."

I frown. "What did you do?"

I glance at Hinata and see her blush. She's so innocent--it's adorable.

Shikamaru glares at me, though I know he isn't actually mad. "I didn't do shit--I'm not that kind of guy. She's under house arrest because she's sick."

Hinata slaps my shoulder. "You see? That's why Ino-chan is at home--stop jumping to conclusions, Kiba-kun!"

Both Shikamaru and I chuckle.

"Ok, ok, gomen, Hinata." I say and quickly kiss her again. Her face turns bright red.

"K-Kiba-kun! What was that for?!" Her tone is mostly embarrassed rather than upset.