"What's not? Showboating. Bragging. Taunting. This guy thinks he's the best thing to grace this planet since Kylie's lip kit."

"Sounds like you have a grudge against this guy. Did you and him . . . ?"

Madison appeared horrified at the thought of my implication. "Absolutely not. I can't stand being around this guy, much less being with him. His ego inflates faster than an air mattress."

"Then why the hate?"

"It's his attitude! That I'm-better-than-everyone, insufferable, egotistical, pompous . . ."

"I think I get the message."

Madison exhaled, putting on the brakes to her rant. "Above all, I hate how he overshadows Nick. On any other team, Nick would be the undisputed star, but here at Oakcrest, he has to play second fiddle to the egomaniac. Not because he's less talented, but because Nick doesn't play with the same level of flair as Caleb."

I understood what Madison meant. In part because that was exactly how I felt about myself. It was hard to generate any attention as an introvert. I rarely spoke to people aside from my mother and Madison, and as a result, the others at school labeled me as a wallflower.

It wasn't like I wanted celebrity status. Extended attention put pressure on me and made me nervous. I would be more than satisfied to receive proper recognition on my work. Nothing more. This upcoming school play would be my chance to exhibit my talents.

Clapping and cheering brought my attention back to the game. It seemed like our team had scored a goal. The red lights were flashing and our players, in their easily identifiable green and yellow jersey, stood up and repeatedly whacked their sticks against the boards like they were wielding the judge's gavel.

Before I had time to process what was happening, a fight broke out between their goaltender and one of our players. I couldn't tell who it was from distance, but I did spot the number ten on the back of his jersey.

Madison pointed to the ice. "That's Caleb."

I watched as the two parties punched each other with unrelenting savagery. The crowd cheered on enthusiastically and students pulled out their phones to film the fight. For their part, the fighters seemed to feed off of the energy. Each fist was thrown with an intent to injure. A few landed and the fighters wobbled like Russian dolls, staggering but refusing to fall down.

There weren't many people who shared my views, but I thought athletes were some of the worst people in school. They were lazy, arrogant and manipulated the system through their reputation. Even though they were undeserving, athletes had an easier path to success simply because they could pass a ball or score a goal.

A part of the blame went back to the student body. It was thanks to their undying worship of these people that such bias existed at school. There wasn't even a good reason to idolize these athletes. I mean, this was the type of primal behavior that people were celebrating. Had the fight taken place anywhere other than the arena, Principal Brooks would have suspended both participants on the spot. Instead, each punch was met with waves of applause. I felt sick to my stomach.

At last, one last punch caused the opposing fighter to fall. Caleb skated away, basking in the cheers of the crowd, as the other person remained face first to the ice. Nobody seemed to care. Everyone was busy celebrating the victory of their beloved hero.

Caleb was escorted off the ice and disappeared into the darkness behind the bench. The officials helped the other person up and likewise took him off the ice. What followed was a period of confusion as things were sorted out and a new goaltender stepped on to the ice. For some reason, loud crashing noises echoed throughout the arena, as though things were breaking. Given the state of the Smoke Zone, I wouldn't have been surprised if the building collapsed on top of us.