Prince of Knights Chp39

Start from the beginning

"You must question your sister-in-law, ya Shouq." He hissed not moving his eyes from Raghad who had to swallow.

"Ya Nasser, men of this tribe do not dwell on matters that concern the woman. Indeed, a lot has occurred, but Raghad is blameless. She does not have a hand in any of the mishaps." Fahad protested.

"You articulate in such a manner mainly because you are unaware of certain affairs, Fahad." Nasser verbalized.

"Whatever the reason is, you must not confront Raghad for something she has not committed." Shouq stepped closer to Raghad and glared at Adhari who had an impish grin on her lips.

Faris moved his head just the way he had done before. His chin reached his right shoulder and beard brushed against his kandoora. "Nasser." There that serene, placid voice touched every corner of the room like a spell. His deep, rumbling voice, that firm note in it forewarned not only the humans but also the wind to stay at bay. It only took knight of knights to pronounce one single word for the gigantic man to step back, exhale and march out of the room.

"I would very much cherish it if we could have some privacy Adhari." Shouq enunciated. The prepossessing woman glanced at Faris who disregarded her presence as he was preoccupied with his precious Jaazee. Adhari opened her mouth then shut it with a smile towards Batool she stood up and departed.

"Come. You must eat." Shouq tenderly grabbed Raghad's hand and led her to the Sufra. Fahad beamed and scooted away to make a place for his sisters. "I apologize for Nasser's behavior. He does not wish even for the wind to disturb his brother and so much has happened. So, we pray you comprehend his actions."

"No, it is okay. I understand why he acted that way." Raghad answered eyes on Faris who did not look up. When the mountain of a man had stood before her, Raghad did not know what to do or what to say. Nasser terrorized her. The moons she had resided in this house that man had never conversed with her and today when he had glared into her eyes Raghad knew she needed aid.

They sat there in silence and noshed their meal. Raghad frowned every time Jaazee rested her head on Faris's arm and wondered why on earth did the man not frown or wince? She was well aware that his injury throbbed, not being able to resist it anymore she looked at Jaazee and smiled. "Jaazee, come see what my brother, Badr has gifted me." She held out her delicate wrist to show the little girl her gold cuffs. Instantly, Jaazee leaped to her feet, rounded around the sufra to sit next to Raghad.

Her gaze, however, lingered on Faris who sighed and then finally lifted his eyes to look at her. An oath was vocalized, no, not among the foes but rather the wind and the thumping of their hearts. An oath that fastened its knot around their hearts and shimmered in their eyes. Faris bit the corner of his lips to stop the smile that deceived his taut face. He rose to his feet eyes on her. His lips were sealed but incalculable words were shared among them. His gaze traveled to her new gold cuffs_ her injured palm_ then back to her brown eyes now imperceptibly wide. With another fleeting grin, he muttered his farewell and ambled away.

**

Raghad continued to stitch her new shawl willing to flee the boredom that followed her. Three nights since they returned from her beloved tribe, three nights without her having the knowledge of Khalid or what Badr and her unwanted spouse concealed from her. She sat, cross-legged in the family room near the open wooden window. The bride looked up from the scarf when Shouq sauntered in the family room with Jaazee, who held her elder sister's shawl from behind.

"Salaam Alaikum, Raghad." Shouq came to a standstill in front of the bride.

"Wa Alaikum as Salam, ya Shouq. What is the matter?" Raghad placed the scarf down to peer at her.