Chapter 10: Long Day

Start from the beginning

"Alright ladies, come try these on to start and we can find the shape you prefer," Madam Malkin says coming out with so many dresses I can't see her face.

She places all the dresses down on the couch beside us and they somehow lay out perfectly. I would say it's magic but I think it might just be a skill.

Narcissa stands up and looks at the dresses almost pushing Madam Malkin out of the way. They seem like friends but Narcissa definitely still asserts her dominance. Narcissa waves her wand and the dresses float up and follow her to the dressing room. I wait for her to leave and walk over to the dresses Madam Malkin pulled for me. There were six laid out for me and I looked at them. I waved my wand and lifted the dresses. I walked over to the change room and had the dresses follow me. I closed the soft black curtains behind me and look at the beautiful dressing room. There are two silver bars on the walls, one for on either side of the dressing room. Right across from the curtains is a large mirror that's surrounded by lights to show off all the details of the dress. I move my wand and place the hooks on the hangers on the silver bar to the right and get started.

I look at the first dress that seems to be very form fitting. I take off my top and jeans and try it on. It's tight and not too comfortable. I take it off and try on the second one, A mermaid style dress. After the second one, Madam Malkin asks how everything is going. I tell her I'm going well and she leaves me. The third dress is silky and long, very formal and very simple. I try it on and like that it's not so tight. I want to be comfortable and mostly I want to be able to breathe. I take it off and put it on the left silver bar to remember I like it best so far. I look at the fourth dress and it is just wrong. It was tight on the top and looked like a peacock on the bottom. I don't even try it on and move to the fifth. I look at it and fall in love. It's a beautiful ball gown with a belt of diamonds on the waist and small diamonds moving up to the top. It's strapless and looks a little tight on the top but it flows out at the bottom. I grab it off the hook and try it on. I look at myself and melt at the sight of the diamonds under the lights.

"How is everything, my dear?" Madam Malkin asks.

"I think I found the one," I say.

I pull the curtains back and see Madam Malkin and Narcissa. Narcissa is wearing a long, straight grey dress and hugs her well.

"Oh Elena, It's perfect," Narcissa says.

"You look stunning dear," Madam Malkin says.

"I love it," I say. looking down at it and running my hands down the fabric.

"Is this the color you were thinking?" Madam Malkin asks.

"I was thinking we could go a bit lighter," I say. "Like a crimson red"

"That sounds wonderful," Narcissa says.

Madam Malkin pulls out her wand and waxes it t me. A spark of red shoots out of her wand and surrounds me several times until it makes a spiral and then sinks into the dress changing its color into the perfect red.

"It's perfect," I say.

"We'll take it, as well at this one", Narcissa says looking at her own dress.

"Of course, I will get some bags for you," Madam Malkin says.

I walk back to the changing room and take off the dress. I throw my clothes back on and check myself in the mirror before leaving. I push aside the black curtains and see Madam Malkin waiting for me. She holds her hand out for my dress and I hand it to her to put in the garment bag.

"When is the ball this year Narcissa?" Madam Malkin asks.

"Three days", Narcissa responds.

Three days? Wow, that's actually pretty soon. I guess the whole issue with Hogwarts distracted me. I mean, it's Christmas in three days.