Chapter 7 - Chance to Return

Start from the beginning

Besides his quiet and aloof personality, he was a very handsome person. I hadn't really bothered to observe him on our first two meetings but having traveled with him in close proximity for quite some time now had given me the chance to do so. Even though his height and toned build were impressive and appealing to any woman, including myself, I felt more captivated by his eyes. They were deep pools of gold that seemed so absorbing, like they could see much deeper than what was visible to anyone else. They held concentration, tranquility, and clearly reflected the nobility of which he was from. A thick air of authority hung around him in general and many demons steered clear of him either knowing of his name and family or because they could sense his overwhelmingly powerful demonic aura.

Jaken was the loudest member of the group and constantly complained about things that he didn't like or things that he thought Sesshomaru didn't like. Most of the time, no one bothered with him and he would stop his fussing when he realized that he was being ignored. Rin would try to reason with him sometimes though it usually wasn't any useful. Other times, when his complaining was far too annoying to tolerate any longer, either Sesshomaru or I would be the one to shut him up.

While I merely threaten him by glaring at him or holding a fist up to show him that I would hit him if he prattled on any longer, Sesshomaru isn't that patient. He ends up punching Jaken on the head, kicking him to the side or pelting him with a stone. I feel sorry for him sometimes because he's such a loyal follower of Sesshomaru but ends up being ignored lots of times. But besides his occasional frustrated tantrums, he's a decent enough demon.

Rin, of course, is the liveliest of the group. Nothing Jaken or Sesshomaru says seems to affect her bright and cheerful mood in the least. She's energetic and the only time she's silent or in one place is when she's sleeping. I play with her sometimes, only when she pleads me to play with her because she's bored and Jaken refuses to entertain her. The most common game we play is tag, which I have come to quite enjoy despite my slightly reserved personality. Well, I wasn't completely anti social and children were the only part of the human populace that I felt innocent and pure enough to trust – at least for the most part. And children in the Feudal Era were definitely bound to be much more innocent than children of the modern world exposed to a much different and complicated lifestyle.

As for Ah-Un, there wasn't much to say about him besides the fact that he is a docile and subservient dragon demon. He's friendly and just like Rin, I too find him to be a good companion. I often caress his heads and feed him berries that Rin and I find for our meals and he seems to enjoy it. He's become attached to me just as much as he is with Rin and lets us lean against him while we sleep and travel on his back when Sesshomaru prefers flying instead of walking to cover larger distances in shorter periods of time. Although, he's not all that friendly with Jaken and sometimes refuses to listen to anything he says.

I snapped out of my thoughts when Sesshomaru came to a stop in front of us. I knew why he had some to a stop – there was a demon quite close to where we were and had a rather menacing aura. It wasn't all that strong but it was approaching us at a fast speed, enough to make us understand that it was coming to attack us. Sesshomaru didn't hesitate to draw one of his swords, the one named Tokijin that was forged from the fang of a demon, and hold it pointing to the ground but ready to use.

The trees in front of us rustled violently before being uprooted as a demon two times as tall and broad as Sesshomaru appeared in front of us. Sesshomaru dodged easily with his super speed when it brought one of its clawed hands down at where we were. Jaken jumped out of the way clumsily, Ah-Un jumped back and I took a hold of Rin while jumping to the side and out of the way too.

"Lord Sesshomaru....how unexpected of you to be traveling with not one but two humans. Have you fallen as low as your father? Or perhaps, you are in the process of falling so." The demon spoke in a loud gruff voice.