Chapter 12 - Execution

When Royle returned to the mansion it was late in the afternoon. Reaching the main door, he took off his coat and passed to the servant. He then requested the servant to bring his dinner up before heading for the stairs.

Keith stood in front of the study room and turned to the sound of footsteps. "Hello Royle," he greeted as soon as he saw the lord in sight. "Did you just return from the trip to the Cabinet?"

"Yes. But it is rather meaningless, though Vmasquerade event had made things easier for them to hold a meeting, the rumour that Arthur was leaving the head position had caused quite a stir in the Cabinet earlier," Royle chuckled.

"I see," Keith responded as he followed him to the study room and sat on the couch facing the fireplace. The sound of wood crackling filled the room as he waited for Royle to put on a fresh set of clothes.

A knock was heard on the door.

"Come in," Keith called out and the door opened to reveal Bryan, the head butler with a tray on one hand.

Bowing his head at the commander, he walked towards the study desk and placed the dish and a glass of wine before putting the tray to his side.

"Thank you Bryan," Royle said as he walked into the study room through the door that was connected to the bedchamber. "Anything to report?"

"Yes, my lord. We have captured the culprit and she is currently held in the dungeon. We have handled it in utmost secrecy, ensuring no one was around when she was captured," Bryan answered promptly.

"Good," Royle nodded his head in response.

"She is tough," Bryan smirked as he recalled. "We couldn't get the answer we wanted considering the amount of torture she had put up with."

"Oh, really?" Royle trailed his hand along the rim of the wine glass. "We shall see how long she can endure then," he said before dismissing the head butler.

As the door closed, Keith walked towards the study table and sat in front of Royle. "Ahh, I've always admire Bryan for this. You can count on him for any kind of work. He does his job fast and his work was exceptional too."

Royle smiled at the comment as he ate his dinner. Bryan was his family's butler before Royle took over the position of the lord from his dad. It had been centuries as the head butler in this mansion and he still remained faithful.

Knowing that the lord needed to have some time alone, Keith continued.

"Lilith was brought back to the mansion earlier this afternoon. I've heard she was slightly shaken from the incident but had slowly recovered."

The conversation had piqued the lord's interest, Keith noticed and seeing how his eyes softened slightly when he was told about her condition, he knew Royle cared for her.

It was hard for others to see and decipher his true expression as he hardly shown any but as his childhood friend, Keith knew how to read.

"She is now resting in the room. Just be careful if you intend to visit her, I heard she's a light sleeper," Keith got out of the seat yawning. "I'm going back to my room. Got to turn in early, goodnight!"

"Good night," Royle replied and continued eating his dinner.

Looking at the time on his watch, he realised he needed to go somewhere and closed the door behind him.

He stood at the door as he glanced towards the room Lilith was in and listened to the constant heartbeat of hers before making his way down the stairs.

Lilith sat at the edge of the bed staring at the wall in front of her. She had heard from Sir Andrew that the lord had asked to bring her back to the mansion.