3

Weeks later, there was a programme being held at her church. They had been planning it for months.

Her mother was a dedicated worker and because of how important it was, Aanu knew she would be forced to go.

She put her signature black hoodie and jeans on and begrudgingly went to the service.

The theme of the service was "Thanksgiving."

"Brethren, today is a wonderful day! If you agree say Amen!" The Pastor began.

"Amen!" Chorused through the church.

"If you are thankful for today, say Amen!"

Another amen chorused through the church.

"If you are thankful for being here whole and healthy, say Amen!"

"Amen!"

"If you are thankful for this service say Amen!"

"Amen!"

"Brethren, I am here to speak to you today only by the will of God. My sermon itself is a testimony of His mercy. Our God is merciful. If you believe this say Amen!"

"Amen!"

"Many of you are aware that I was in a car accident on Tuesday. My wife and I would like to extend our gratitude to the congregation for your fervent prayers. God has answered them all. Being able to stand here today is God's doing." He got on his knees and tears were falling down his face as he told his story.

"We were on our way to pick the children up from school when an abnormal truck came speeding towards us from the opposite direction. The driver had lost control of the truck. It swerved and collided heavily into the side of the my car where I was seated. Brethren, the devil is a liar."

He continued, "The collision was terrible. The impact had rendered the driver unconscious and my wife fainted when she saw the amount of blood coming from me. I was losing alot of blood but all I could do was thank God for my life. Whether it was soon to be over or not, I thanked Him."

"I believe it was because I gave Him glory, even in my worst situation, that I survived. If I had not sang songs of praises onto my Father, this congregation would have been singing mourning songs. Even my doctor was amazed at how I survived.

Halfway through the sermon, she was already bored. She stepped out 15 minutes later for some air but she never came back until an usher, who was a family friend, came to tell her that the church drama was about to start.

She had always secretly enjoyed the playlets at church but for fear of seeming childish, she hid her excitement. Today, however, there was no excitement to hide.

The drama started slow. It was about a young man, Jide, who had spent his last money on a 500ml bottle of orange juice. He was a graduate, but he was unemployed. His rent was six months due and he had been hiding from his landlord. Jide was about to commit suicide.

A homeless man walking by saw what was about to happen and asked Jide why he was doing that.

Jide explained his situation and the homeless man tried to convince him otherwise to no avail. He then joyfully asked for Jide's clothing and his last bottle of juice as he was wearing rags. He mentioned that he had not eaten in a week, that he slept on the street and that he had no shoes.

Jide wondered why this homeless man was still so happy despite his situation. Curiousity getting the better of him, Jide asked him why he was so cheerful.

The homeless man gave such a long list of things that he was thankful for, that Jide had to stop him.

Jide eventually thought about all the things he could be thankful for and he abandoned his suicide attempt.

The church was in awe of the playlet and sounds of clapping rang through the building for several minutes.

This chapter is dedicated to
BibleIsKey
for guessing the theme of the previous chapter correctly!

What is the theme in this chapter?