October 31, 1981

It was Harry's and Ivy's first Halloween. James had just taken off their costumes, they had dressed Harry as a stag and Ivy as a doe.

They were in the living room. Apparently, Remus, Sirius, and Peter were all coming over in three days for Sirius' birthday. Harry smiled when he heard them say that, he loved seeing the three. Ivy wasn't listening, she was more focused on her drawing.

Harry glanced over at it, looking to see what it was. She quickly hid it with her arms and smiled at him. He fell back dramatically before sitting back up. He heard his dad take yet another photo of the two. Harry smiled for it and Ivy looked up, smiling to copy Harry.

They heard the gate outside their house open, the two furrowed their eyebrows.

"Are you sure any of them aren't coming today?" Lily asked James.

"Yeah." He replied, standing up. He walked to the window, opening the curtain just a small bit. He immediately turned pale.

"It's him." James said.

"What?" Lily asked, standing up and looking from James to Harry.

"It's him, it's Voldemort." He repeated. He looked up. "Take the twins, go. I'll try and- I'll try to hold him off." James said. He grabbed Harry while Lily picked Ivy up.

He leaned in and kissed Lily for a quick second before handed Harry over.

"Where's your wand?" She asked.

"Lily, just go." He said. She nodded and quickly started up the stairs quickly. She heard the door blast open.

She was up the stairs when she saw the green fill the room and the soft thud of her husband's body falling. She squeezed her eyes shut and gripped the children tighter before walking into their room.

She closed the door behind her. The only thing going through her mind was that the man she loved was dead, and that soon her and her children would be to.

She heard the small sound of someone walking up the stairs slowly, as if they had all the time in the world. A tear ran down her face and she squeezed the two again.

She knew that Voldemort was there to kill Harry, she kissed his head. She wasn't scared for the fact that she was going to die, she was scared for the children that she loved more than she thought it was possible to love something.

She remembered that her own parents had died when she was mad at them, and they had had a huge, ugly argument. They had died thinking she hated them. She couldn't stand the thought of Harry or Ivy not knowing just how much she loved them, she repeated it to them. She said how much she loved them both and that they meant the world to her, as if if she said it enough it would stick in their heads. She had to save them.

She set the two down into Harry's crib. She realized that if Voldemort had somehow figured out where they were, Peter must have willingly told him. She felt a deep pang of hurt and betrayal, that Peter would ever.

He had been one of her most loyal friends, so she thought. She had noticed the gap that had formed between them all and Peter, she had been surprised when she learned Peter was coming for Sirius' birthday. But she would never think for a moment he would tell Voldemort where they were. She tried to convince herself that somehow Voldemort had gotten him to, that he didn't want to really. She knew that that wasn't the case.

The next thing she realized was that Sirius would take the blame for this, he would be sent to Azkaban. Only her, James, Sirius, and Peter had known about the switch. She wished she would have trusted Remus, would have told him.

All of this went through her head in seconds, and then the door was blown open. She faced a man- a thing- with pale, almost green, waxy skin. It had red eyes that reminded her more of a snake. It had snake-like slits for nostrils. It looked like a human shaped snake. She felt another tear drip from her face.

"Move, I'm not here to kill you." It told her, looking directly at Harry.

"No." She replied, standing straight and ignoring the feeling in her stomach that she couldn't describe. "Please, please don't touch them." She begged desperately.

"Move now, or die." It said.

"No." She repeated, her voice cracking slightly.

"Fine, Avada Kedavra!" It yelled carelessly, as if this was an everyday activity. A blinding green light filled the room that forced Harry's and Ivy's eyes shut, it reminded Harry of his mother's eyes.

The last thought to cross her mind was of James, and then she fell lifelessly to the ground.

It looked at her body and pressed it's foot against her arm, pushing her slightly and laughed.

"Mr. Potter." It said, looking him over. "They think you'll be able to defeat me? Fools." It said. Ivy started crying loudly. Harry stepped in front of her, it laughed lightly. "Completely idiotic." It said, shaking it's head. It's chilling and waxy voice made Harry shiver slightly.

"Harry Potter, the boy who died. Has a good ring to it." It said, sounding amused. Harry felt his heart speed up. He reached behind his back to squeeze Ivy's hand.

"Perhaps the prophecy was wrong, you're not even two yet." It said. "But why risk it?" It asked.

It looked at Harry for a moment, as if waiting for a response. "Killing is much more enjoyable when people beg for their lives." It commented. It pointed it's wand at Harry.

"Avada Kedavra!" It said loudly. The bright green filled Harry's vision for the third time that night. He felt a sharp pain in his forehead, his hand flew to it and he screamed.

The light went away. It looked confused and stared at Harry. "I don't- I don't understand." It said. Then, it screamed in pain and fell to it's knees.

The windows exploded, he heard Ivy cry out. He turned to her and saw a V shaped cut on her arm, put there from glass. He bit his cheek to try and lessen the pain in his head, a metallic taste filled his mouth. He looked back to the thing, and saw nothing there. He saw a black and wispy smoke floating towards him, it disappeared when it hit his head and he felt the pain increase, he shut his eyes again and bit his cheek harder.

He tried to focus on his sister, who was bleeding. She was crying loudly, he hugged her tightly in an attempt to sooth her.

He stared at his mother, she looked asleep but he could tell it was worse than that.

It was hours before someone showed up. Harry's overly long fringe covered the scar on his forehead, that was bleeding. Sirius walked in, he squeezed his eyes shut at the sight of Lily. Harry saw tears running down his cheeks.

"Padfoot?" Harry said, Sirius looked at him, as if just realizing he was there.

Sirius looked at him in slight shock, he opened and closed his mouth. "Hi pup." He said, picking Harry and Ivy up, he was relieved to feel Ivy breathing.

He looked at Ivy's arm, furrowing his eyebrows at the cut. He shook his head, making some of his long hair fall into Harry's face. Harry moved it.

Sirius carried them down the stairs. He looked forward and refused to look at James' body. Harry stared.

He took them outside and sat on his motorbike.

"Sirius?" Someone asked, Sirius looked up and saw Hagrid.

"Hagrid?" He asked. The man walked forward.

"Is that- are James and Lily alive to?" He asked. Sirius swallowed and shook his head.

"Dumbledore wants me to take the children to him." He said.

"Why? Me and Remus are their godfathers- they wanted us to have the two." Sirius said.

"I don't know, it was just what he told me to do." He said.

Sirius contemplated. He had figured out that Peter had betrayed them. He wanted to kill him. But he had to worry about Harry and Ivy. He would get revenge sooner or later.

"No. It's my right to have them." Sirius said, planning to go to his and Remus' small house. If they were to take care of children, he would have to find a new place to stay.

"Siri-" Hagrid began.

"Tell Dumbledore that he can talk to me himself if he wants them." Sirius said. He started the motorbike and started away.