Thirty-Four

"She- what," I say, almost choking on air. She's too beautiful to have cancer, something must be wrong since she was admitted to the hospital. She must've had some trouble. My poor baby girl.

"She has cancer. She's doing much better now. Do you want to see her? Visiting hours are almost over," Cam said softly, still looking at the ground. I still can't find the words to say. It's not right, God is like playing these children, dangling their lives in his hands.

"Yeah. Just let me get to Ryder, to see if he hasn't passed out." My attempt to make a joke and brighten the mood failed miserably.

"Waiting room?" I nod as we get to the waiting room, Ryder hasn't passed out... yet.

"Hi baby, here's some water. You're pretty pale," I say in a sweet voice and hand him a bottle of water.

"I know dude. I'm not thirsty," Ryder replies coldly. I sigh and sit at the edge of his seat, on the arm.

"I have something important to tell you." I hid Cam until Ryder isn't being cold and heartless.

"Aspen-," Ryder starts but I cut him off by opening the water bottle and putting some on my hands. "What are you doing?" I run my hands over his face, hoping to give him a little bit of life in his face.

"Being a good girlfriend." I try to make my voice sound as sweet as it can, but that fails.

"A good girlfriend wouldn't let my brother fall down the stairs," Ryder mumbled and I wanted to slap him right there. It's not my fault.

I get up, off the arm of the chair and walk to Cam, grabbing him roughly. I stormed off with my nails digging into Cam's bicep. I felt the tears sting my eyes and I continued to walk.

"Ouch, dude. Trim your nails or let go of me," Cam squealed and I clicked the button for the elevator.

"What's wrong OG," Cam asked, using my nickname made me release my grip a tad bit. The elevator finally came through and we slide in. Just like Cam does into your DM's.

"What floor is Scarlett on," I ask him and put all my focus into the elevator buttons and not crying.

"Three." I let go of his arm and clicked the number three button and the doors slide close.

"What happened," Cam asks, I still put my focus onto the glowing buttons and not crying. I will not cry because Ryder continuously hurts me. Smile, smile, smile. You're going to see Scarlett.

"Cam, did I invite you to my BBQ," I ask him, still not looking at him.

"No! You didn't tell me you were having one," Cam yells and rambles on about food.

"Then why are you all up in my grill?" My tone was sassy, just as I intended it to. I finally look over at him and smirk.

"You're so funny it hurts." His tone was monotone with a couple haha's. "But you are one sassy bitch, I'll give you that."

The elevator stops on the third floor and we get out. We walk to room 318 and peek in.

"She's up, I'll tell the doctor she has a visitor. You have 30 minutes," Cam says, patting my shoulder then going off to the doctors.

"Hey baby bear," I say softly and slide into her room, safely closing the door behind me.

Her head turned my way, they had her hooked up on all sorts of shit. It made me cringe looking at it. She whisper yelled, "Aspen!" She held her arms out for a hug.

I went over to her and embraced her with a hug. Her frail little arms wrapped around my neck.

"How are you doin," I ask her softly and sit at the edge of her bed.