[22] - Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

“Does this mean I can’t trust Dean?” I asked her quietly with a sigh. I didn’t want to not trust him which is stupid because he obviously cares about Kale more than me but—

“It all depends really, you just have to dig deeper. Find out who told Dean and why he didn’t tell you; find out why Kale is dating your teacher. Did he ask her out or did she? How did this all start? When you find the answer to these questions, you’ll unlock the key,” Mary Anne informed with a smile.

Before I could respond, Gregory arrived with the two cups of tea and as I thought to myself, I figured that Mary Anne was right. After all, she is a survivor. I need to do a little mystery solving and then I could finally defeat my insecurity ghost since I would have obtained the key.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Around lunch the next day, I made a plan to follow Dean. Thankfully, he got the gist and didn’t speak to me at all because I didn’t want him finding out about the plan. Sighing, I closed my eyes and took a deep breath as I peeked around the lockers. I saw Dean walking the opposite direction towards the Boys’ restroom.

When he was far enough away from me, I followed him making sure that I was quiet as possible. As I walked, I was ecstatic that were some people roaming the halls so he most likely wouldn’t catch me.

As soon as he entered the boys’ restroom, I knelt by the door and listened to their conversation. “…There you are!” I heard Scott saying. “Why have you been avoiding us?”

“Because I have,” Dean replied his voice strained and hurt. “I—

“Dean, get over it! McKenzie found out so what?” Kale snapped furiously. “She’s not going to say a word.”

“That’s not why I am upset,” He murmured, “I am an ass.”

“What?” Austen asked confused.

“You heard me!” Dean shot at him angrily. “I never wanted to be a part of this! I hate that you all make Kale date girls just so you won’t tell on him, it’s stupid! I would’ve told on you guys a long time ago.”

“Why didn’t you Mister Brave?” Austen asked with a laugh. “Why, oh wait because of your Dad huh. You’re such a weak piece of s—

“Enough!” Scott hollered over him. “Dean, I know how you feel but you cannot say anything, Kale’s our friend.”

“Not until he started dating Mrs. Rial and not until he became a jerk,” Dean said angrily, “And not until he…broke McKenzie’s heart!”

“Oh that’s what this is about,” Austen told him with a rude laugh. “That girl means nothing to us Dean; she’s nothing but an ugly and gullible fool. Why do you care about her so much?”

Kale laughed, “Are you serious right now? Did he actually--?”

“Never mind about my feelings!” Dean exclaimed suddenly furious than ever before. “It’s none of your business, she was my friend! She was there for me and still tried to be my friend even though I have a crappy father. She even helped me when I got hurt and—

“Dean, calm down,” Scott informed with a reassuring tone. “I know how much it hurts, but it’s over now. You’re going to have to move on.”

“I…can’t, I’m out.”

“What? You’re not out, Dean!” Kale scoffed with an evil laugh. “I beat you up so many times and you never told anyone about me and my girlfriend.”

“It’s not that,” Dean said to him. “It’s because of—

“Your father?” Austen guessed.