[16] - Chapter Sixteen

In chemistry the next day, everyone seemed to be pumped up about the dance that was coming up soon. Usually, there’s not a lot of dances here, but when they come around, everyone wants to go. It’s this Friday and the theme is neon so I bet it’s going to be very interesting. I usually go to dances with Stef, but since she’s not here anymore, I may just go with Kale.

“They’re kind of late about telling us that there’s a dance coming up soon,” Dean told me while Mrs. Rial was searching for something in her desk and everyone took this opportunity to chat.

“Yeah,” I agreed as I realized that now. “But then again, we barely have any dances so maybe they wanted to add a quick dance in to keep school’s spirit going on.”

“Actually, I am the one who suggested this dance,” Mrs. Rial piped in as she turned to Dean and I. “I wanted everyone to celebrate the football player’s win and neon is such a fascinating theme too.”

Wow, Mrs. Rial is just full of surprises. “Well, thanks for that,” Some other student who I believe her name is Violet thanked her.

When, our teacher began to chat with Violet, Dean turned to me again. “So are you going?”

“Possibly, I’ll ask Kale or something,” I replied back with a sigh. “You?”

“As long as they play a bunch a dubstep, then hell yeah I’m going,” Dean said with a cute laugh.

“You like dubstep?” I wondered as I raised my eyebrow.

“More like love it, I met Skrillex one time. It was pretty sweet; of course I went when my mom was alive—

Dean immediately cut himself off and stared at his desk as he realized what he had said. His mom was dead? I suddenly felt upset and his sister was gone too. “Dean—

“Let’s just drop it okay,” Dean cut me off.

I sighed; he was pushing me away once again. It didn’t make me feel better because now I couldn’t help but to think of May. Sighing, I ignored my thoughts and did as he told me too. “Um, so how was it like meeting Skrillex?”

Dean looked at me like he was shocked that I didn’t question him further but then he grinned. “Awesome. That’s why I’m saying if they played dubstep at this neon dance, it’d be sick.”

I didn’t really listen to dubstep, but I know enough about it from Stef since she was obsessed with Ellie Goulding, Calvin Harris, Zedd, and Skrillex. The music was actually pretty good, but I just listen to pop. “Yeah, it’d be cool,” I agreed.

“Okay class,” Mrs. Rial said as she tossed her blonde hair over her shoulders and then clapped to get our attention. “Enough about the dance, let’s back to work.” And with that, we all groaned.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“So Kale, are you going to the neon dance?” I asked him as soon I sat down with my lunch tray.

“Yeah,” Kale replied back with a smile. “You can be my date.”

“Kale, I don’t—

“Shut up, Austin,” Kale interrupted him with an eye roll and turned to me. “I’m sorry, we’re used to just going in a big group.”

“Oh, well you can with your friends if you want,” I said hoping I didn’t really upset anyone. It was kind of weird for Austin to be so protective over Kale; did Kale have any other girlfriends in the past, like Caroline? But, then I kind of understand because if they were always going to dances in groups, I didn’t want to disrupt anything.