55: The Golden Lady

Sarka had never spent much time wondering about the Opal Realm. With her energies focused on the immediate problems she faced in her own world, her curiosity about the realm of the gods had extended only so far as it touched upon how she might obtain Kogoren's God-Song. She had pictured a shadowy, cobwebby dungeon where the God-Song might lay on a pedestal guarded by a dozen ghostly Beloved...and that was where her imagination had stopped.

Now, she was in the Opal Realm herself-a mortal woman, standing in the realm of the gods-and she was, for once in her life, at a loss for words.

Galdren had been beautiful to her. There, she had seen a sea of humanity rushing along streets lined with soaring buildings of stone. She had seen gardens brimming with all manner of green and growing things. She had the Hundred God Grotto and beautiful temples that hinted at a world of worship and blessings she had never known. But compared to what she now saw at the gates of Lady Deyna's palace, Galdren was nothing.

The sky above them was powder blue, the edges near the horizon tinged with pink, like a maiden's blush. Before them, past a set of intricately-wrought gates, extended a path of brilliant gold hemmed in on either side with lush gardens of feathery ferns and blooming hedges. Brimming fountains and trees taller than any Sarka had ever seen ornamented the landscape. Vibrant birdsong filled the air, borne aloft on a breeze that also carried the heady scent of flowers.

Atai's magical portal had taken them directly to their destination: at the end of the golden walk, Sarka could see a towering palace of gold that could only be the dwelling place of Lady Deyna, Goddess of Prosperity and Abundance. It gleamed in the sun, so bright that it nearly hurt Sarka's eyes to look upon it, handsome and opulent and extraordinary in every way.

"Come," said Atai, coaxing Sarka forward with his hand on the small of her back. "I expect she will be waiting for us."

"This should be easy," said Ro. "I can tell she's a reasonable sort from the restraint she shows in her decorating."

"You will want to restrain yourself," Konn muttered. "It will not do to make another enemy today."

"Yes. We are outdoing ourselves when it comes to making enemies. Let's pace ourselves," Sarka said. Atai cleared his throat-how, Sarka could not guess-and with a glance at him, she said, "Sorry."

Lady Deyna did not lack for indulgences, and there was no dearth of servants in her palace. The gates that opened the way to the golden road were attended by three liveried guardsmen on either side, and the soaring double doors of the palace by twice as many. By the time they reached these doors, Sarka's head was swimming from the perfume of the flowers.

"Welcome to the Palace of Prosperity," said the beautiful young woman who met them inside.

Sarka glanced at Ro, only to find that he had looked at her as well. They exchanged expressions laden with wry commentary, and she had to break eye contact to keep from laughing.

"Do follow me. My lady expects you." The servant bowed and then turned to lead them from the glittering antechamber into a long hall where the painted tile floors and the luxurious wall hangings were all deep sapphire blue. From there, they entered an adjoining hall where the chandeliers dripped with rubies, and finally, they passed through a sitting room filled with cushioned chairs and woven rugs in shades of emerald.

"Please wait here," said the servant, "and I shall see if my lady will receive you now." She passed through a pair of doors that glittered with green gemstones.

Sarka had never seen so much color in her life. She was certain she would not make it through another dazzling room without vomiting.

"Please tell me I haven't gone mad," whispered Ro.