49: The Library

Sarka crossed the Opal Road, weaving through pedestrians and observing the tower as she approached. It was as she remembered from the few times she had seen it: a sturdy cylinder of brown stone, its exterior circumscribed a few times with a staircase. The roof of the tower was a dome embellished with roundels in gleaming gold. The lawns surrounding the tower were neatly trimmed, but there were no deep pools or brilliant gardens. Whatever the Temple of Warien boasted of value, it must have been within.

She chose the only path there was: the winding steps that would lead her up and around the tower. She circumscribed the tower once before reaching the first narrow door. There was no marking on it, no handle. Sarka squinted up the staircase, but there were no other doors in evidence before the staircase wound round again. She knocked.

Another priestess in pale garments opened to her. Beyond her, Sarka saw an impossibly vast room lined with more books than she had ever dreamed existed. The circular chamber was lined with shelves, and above them was a balcony and more books, and above that, a second balcony, too. Looking at the tower from the outside, she never would have guessed that a chamber of this size might be found within.

The door warden smiled kindly at Sarka. "Welcome to Warien's Library, friend. I am Sister Lara."

Sarka replied briskly. "Thank you. I've come on an errand from Konn. He would like to borrow some books, but I will need help finding them."

"Which books?"

Sarka hesitated, trying to recall the names. "One called Ballads of Atai, and another ... The Eternal?"

"The Eternal Verse, of course," Sister Lara said. "Come this way."

Sarka followed Sister Lara to the marble stairs that led to the second tier of bookshelves far above. Walking through the vast library produced in her an unfamiliar feeling: it was a strange mixture of terror and awe. As they passed row after row of books, Sarka tried to take in what she could. Some volumes were bound in paper, some in cloth, some in leather, some in wood; on most, markings hinted at the contents, but she could only understand a letter here or there in the embossed words, and there was not time to stop and puzzle out any meaning.

An errant thought crossed her mind: Ro would have liked to have seen this. He should have come.

"This library is the largest in Galdren," Lara said, as if she had sensed Sarka's wonder. "We welcome all folk to come here and read in search of wisdom, although we do not allow many to take books outside our walls. Fellow religious, of course, are welcome to do so; we are a vital resource for many priests and priestesses as they study, especially to undertake the renewal of a God-Song. We permit temples to borrow three selections at a time. Is there another book you think would be helpful?"

Sarka fingered the course cloth of her robe. "Oh-no, I'm not a religious woman," she replied. "These clothes are borrowed. Besides, I am not the world's most capable reader. My education was somewhat lacking, and I never had the interest to pursue it."

"Ah." Lara's brows lifted in apparent surprise. "I did not recognize your face, but thought perhaps you were a new disciple of Lord Atai. Either way, I recommend you study your letters more. It is a worthy pursuit, and a path to much knowledge and wisdom."

"Mm." Sarka doubted that the books in this library could teach her much worth knowing. But then again...could there be a book here in this library that would show her how to free Tayo? "Are there books on all sorts of topics here in the library?"

"Almost anything," Lara replied as she drew to a stop. She perused a row of books all bound with similar covers and selected one. Then she beckoned for Sarka to follow her again and began walking toward the other side of the balcony. "It would be rather ambitious to start with these ones, though. We have a section for children on the first level that would be more suited to someone in the early stages of study."

Sarka pressed her lips together. "I was just curious." She did not take well to being humbled, so learning to read fell down several pegs on her list of priorities.

As she paused in front of another section of books, Lara looked knowingly at Sarka, cocking an eyebrow. "If you seek guidance on something specific, there are other resources in Warien's Tower." She turned to scan the spines.

"What do you mean?" asked Sarka with a sinking feeling.

"Go to the top of the tower, and you may consult with the goddess herself. Mind that what my lady reveals may not be as clear as what one might read in a book. Wisdom comes in mysterious ways."

Lara held out the two books to Sarka. One was as long as Sarka's forearm, bound in brown leather and embossed with gold. The other was small, with uneven pages, and was covered shabbily in worn cloth.

Taking the books, Sarka said, "Thank you," without much feeling.

Lara inclined her head and smiled. "Walk in wisdom, friend."