Chapter Fourteen

A/N: I know, I haven't updated in months but a few people have asked me to finish this story so I'm going to - there really isn't much left, two more chapters and an epilogue. I'll do my best to post them all up by the end of the week. I actually don't particularly like  this chapter but the last two are going to be very interesting - they've got loads of twists! But I hope you all enjoy, don't forget to tell me what you think :)
Also, I dedicated this chapter to xxmusicluverxx because she is the main person who encouraged me to finish this story!

Adrian:

I watch her sitting with Percy; her legs are flung over his as they laugh together. Watching them makes a strange feeling well up inside me, accompanied by a bitter taste in my mouth. If I didn’t know any better, I’d have thought it would be Pearl sitting with Percy, her flirting obvious from half way across the field. But I know it’s Cathie. Pearl sits here next to me, her eyes looking as wide and confused as I imagine my own to be.

“What the hell is wrong with her?” Pearl hisses. I glance down at her, realising that not only is she confused, she actually sounds angry at her sister’s flirtation with the pig-headed brute.

“I don’t know,” I sigh, taking a bite out of my ham sandwich, “perhaps she just needs some space. I mean, she’s been through a lot as well as you, Pearl.”

“I know that,” Pearl growls, “but I’m not going around flinging myself at pricks like Percy. God, she just looks so desperate.”

“Maybe we should go talk to her,” I suggest, feeling a little annoyed at how quickly Pearl judges Cathie.

“Are you crazy?” Pearl cries, staring at me with wild eyes. “If we go talk to her now, she’ll just think that we’re supporting this stupid thing she’s doing with Percy the pig.”

I roll my eyes. Being friends with Pearl isn’t always the easiest of tasks. “Didn’t you used to like Percy?”

“I’ve never liked Percy, he is so not my type.” Pearl shudders.

“I don’t mean that you were in love with him or anything, but I thought you and him were friends at one point?” 

“Look,” Pearl cries, ignoring my question, “they totally almost kissed!” 

This grabs my attention. I stare over at Cathie; she has her face tilted upwards, slanting towards Percy with a small smile on her lips. My face twists slightly in disgust as I drag my eyes away from them and look back at Pearl. “Why do you care so much anyway?” I ask.

“Because,” Pearl snaps. “Just because. She’s my sister and I worry about her. She’s got to stay safe and I don’t think she can do that around Percy. He’s a bad influence.”

Glancing at the pair again, a sad smile flashes across my face. “It’s weird, throughout this whole murder business, she’s been the most innocent person and now she’s doing… this.”

“She’s just acting out,” Pearl says, a little breathlessly. I look over at her, surprised to see how scared she suddenly looks. “She’s still innocent, Adrian. Don’t say-- just don’t.”

“I’m not saying that she isn’t innocent, Pearl.” I frown. “Of course she’s innocent.”

“I know, I’m sorry,” Pearl sighs. “Look, I have to go. I’ll talk to you later.” 

Pearl pushes herself to her feet, brushing slightly damp grass off the back of her short school skirt. With a small, rigid wave she spins round and stalks off. I watch her go, wondering what’s wrong with her. She completely flipped and then calmed down and said she had to go - I’m pretty sure normal people don’t act like that.

With a small sigh, I pull my phone out of my pocket and check for new messages. I have one from my dad telling me that mum and him are going out shopping and asking if I want anything. I ignore it; ever since the police announced I wasn’t the murderer, dad’s tried to be nice to me - I just can’t find it in me to forgive him yet though. 

Just as I’m slipping my phone back into my pocket, it starts vibrating. I flip it open and the name ‘Josh’ lights the screen. An incoming call from the person who I least want to speak to. I consider closing my phone and pretending that I never saw it but then I remember the understanding way in which Josh had looked at me my first day back after Annabelle’s funeral. 

“Hello Josh,” I say quietly, positioning the phone next to my ear.

“Adrian,” Josh whispers, his voice wavering, “you answered!”

“What do you want?” I snap, not in the mood for his gratefulness.

“I need to tell you something,” he says quickly. “Please try to keep an open mind until I’ve explained everything. Please?”

“Fine,” I eventually reply, “but make it quick, I have to get to class.”

“I know that you know about Murphy, Annabelle, Pearl and me. It’s true. But what isn’t true is what Murphy is being accused of,” he says. “Murphy can’t be the murderer.”

“Wow, that’s a very loyal thing for someone like you to say,” I mutter.

“I’m not being loyal, Adrian. I’m just being honest,” Josh says, a slight plead in his voice. “Murphy can’t be the murderer because I was with her the night Annabelle was murdered.”

This knocks the breath from my body. He’s got to be lying; there’s no way that Murphy isn’t the murderer. There is no one else it could be. “I really don’t know what to believe, Josh. In all honesty, I don’t know why you’re telling me, you should be telling the police.”

“Adrian, I have tried to tell the police but they don’t believe me. What with my already dodgy reputation and the evidence of Annabelle’s diary, why would they? But it’s the truth.”

“I’m sorry Josh but I think I should just let this whole thing be,” I say, sadly. “I’ve already been involved way more than I ever wanted to be.”

With that I hang up and switch my phone off, chucking it into my pocket. I look up at the field as everyone begins to filter back into school. Really, I should go to last lesson but my head’s pounding and I can hardly think so I just stand up and walk as far away as possible from that building and the shattered life that I own.