Chapter Nine

Cathie:

“You're so funny,” I say, forcing yet another laugh at Percy’s increasingly boring jokes. I glance around the lunch hall, desperately trying to find someone else to include in our conversation.

Percy laughs with me then pats me on the shoulder, his hand inching a little to close to my left breast for my comfort. “And you, are so pretty.” 

My laughter dies and I try to think of something to say in response, luckily I’m saved when Pearl and one of her followers, who I think is called Mini, walk over, “Hey Cathie, hi Percy.” Pearl smiles angelically. “What are you guys up to?”

I shrug. “Nothing.”

Percy laughs, though I have no clue what he’s actually laughing at, “Good.” Pearl smiles. “Then you won’t mind if we talk, will you Cathie?”

“Sure thing,” I say, looking up at her expectantly, she doesn’t say anything. “Well, what is it?”

“Lets walk and talk!” Pearl says, sighing.

“Why do we have to walk?” I ask, sensing that I’m about to get a telling off from Pearl but knowing that she will never do it in front of all these people.

Pearl’s face scrunches up and I can tell she’s only one tug away from snarling and sprouting horns. “Because otherwise you’ll get fat, now come on,” she says, grabbing my arm and dragging me from the lunch room.

To my dismay, Pearl takes me outside where it’s raining, meaning everyone else is inside, staying dry, not outside to save me from Pearl! “So, how are you?” I ask.

Pearl leans her face towards mine and begins whispering, very quickly. “You have to listen to me, Cathie, I know you think I’m to protective or that I’m just being nasty but please be careful around Percy. I think he’s dangerous.”

I stare at Pearl, shocked at how sincere her eyes look. “What do you mean? Why do you think he’s dangerous?” Maybe she knows something about him that can link him to the murder.

Pearl pauses, staring at the ground, her eyes looking slightly crazy. “Everyone knows that he’s a complete dickhead! He just messes around with girls!” 

“Oh, no, you don’t understand…” I say, trying to hold back my laughter, did Pearl seriously think that I had a crush on Percy?

“I think I do,” Pearl says. “And I think you need to know, he isn’t good, especially since… Since the murder, he’s just been acting weird.”

Nodding, I smile at Pearl, touched that she cared enough to warn me. “Thanks Pearl, I’ll be very wary around him.”

Pearl smiles half-heartedly. “Good, I just don’t want to see you get hurt.” There’s an awkward pause before Pearl says, “oh, can you tell mum and dad that I’m going to be home late?”

“Sure thing, why you going to be late?” I ask.

Pearl smirks. “I got a detention, again!” 

“Pearl!” I sigh. “You seriously need to start behaving yourself.”

"Sure, I do," she says, a little sarcastically, a strange smile on her lips. I frown, confused by her comment, but say nothing.

Rolling her eyes, Pearl slips her arm through mine and we walk slowly back to the lunch hall, debating whether or not all of Pearl’s detentions will stop her from getting into University.

“So Pearl told you to stay away from him?” Adrian asks disbelievingly. We’re on the way home from school, I decided to miss the bus to catch up with the investigation, but both Murphy and Josh are both off ‘ill’, so it’s just me and Adrian.