Chapter 11

[🔗]

You Have To Let Her Go

After a workout session with Raven, Harley takes a quick shower, she now lays on her bed with a sketchbook, drawing designs for tattoos.

Her door opens revealing Raven on the other side, "Moira said the president is going to give his address" she says.

"Okay, I'm coming." Harley says, closing her book, sets it on her nightstand and follows Raven down stairs.

The two enter the living room, finding everyone already there. She takes her place standing in between Erik and Alex, looking over at Erik she notices he has a pistol in his hand.

"Do I want to know why you have a gun?" Harley asks, with a slight joking tone.

Erik pretends to think, he simply replies with "No.".

"Right." Harley says, turning her attention to the television.

The president finally appears on the screen.

"It shall be the policy of this nation to regard any nuclear missile crossing the embargo line that surrounds Cuba as an attack by the Soviet union on the United States, requiring a full retaliatory response upon the Soviet union...".

"That's where we're gonna find Shaw." Erik says, waving his gun towards the tv. Harley raises her hand, gesturing for him to stop waving it around, to which he does.

"How do you know?" Alex and Harley both ask, making them give each other a look.

"Two super powers facing off, and he wants to start world war three. He won't leave anything to chance." Charles explains.

"So much for diplomacy." Erik says, turning to face them "I suggest you all get a good nights sleep.", then leaves the room.

Harley huffs, "Well, I'll see you all in the morning, I guess." she says, wrapping her arms around herself and walking back to her room.

Harley lays on her bed, having just finished talking on the phone with her father, when a knock comes from her door.

"Who is it?" she calls out, not really wanting to get up from her spot.

"Can I come in?" she hears Raven say from the other side, she sounds upset.

"Yeah." Harley replies. Her door flies open, Raven rushes in closing the door behind her. The first thing Harley takes in is Raven's appearance, she's in her natural form - Harley can't help but admire her - then Harley sees the tears in her eyes.

"Woah, what's wrong?" Harley questions, sitting upright in her bed.

"Your boyfriend is being an ass." Raven says, crossing her arms in frustration.

"What'd Charles do?" Harley asks, knowing who she was talking about, but choosing to ignore what she called him.

Raven takes a deep breath, "Hank finished the serum. The one that's supposed to "fix" me, and Charles thinks I should take it." she uses air quotes around the word "fix".

"And you don't want that anymore?" Harley asks.

Raven sighs, "We shouldn't have to hide."

Harley sighs, nodding her head slightly, "It does sound like he's worried about you, but worded it and went about it very, very wrong." She says, Raven shifts from foot to foot, clearly still upset, "I'll go talk to him, scold him for you." Harley then walks to the door, "Oh, and Raven. For the record, I think you look beautiful.".

Raven gives her a small smile, "Thank you, Harley." She says, following Harley out of the room.

"No problem. Goodnight Raven." She says, making her way to Charles' room.

Harley now stands outside Charles' bedroom door, taking a breath, she lifts her hand up and knocks. It takes a moment for it to open, when it does Charles appears, holding a glass in one hand. He looks a little shocked to see her.

"Harley?" he says, sounding confused.

"Hi.".

"Is there something you need?" he questions.

She folds her arms, cocking her hip slightly, "I've come to scold you actually." she says, a small smile on her face.

"Scold me?" he sounds even more confused. Instead of answering him, Harley just gestures for him to let her in, to which he detrimentally opens the door farther, allowing her to slip by.

She takes a seat on the end of his bed, clasping her hands together on her lap, "So. Raven came to my room just now, very upset. Said you were being an ass." she says, looking at him with a slightly chastising look.

Charles sighs, closing the door, "I just thought that it was what she wanted." Charles says, setting his glass down and taking a seat next to Harley

"Maybe she finally accepted herself, as she should." Harley says.

"I've always been afraid that if someone saw her, she would be taken and experimented on." Charles says, sighing.

"That's a valid worry. But, maybe your afraid she won't need you anymore." Harley says softly, Charles looks up at her, slightly shocked.

"I mean, you two have been together since childhood, it's not unnatural to be attached to her." Harley says, "It's a scary thought of letting family go, what if you never see them again, what if something happens to them, and you can't help them.", she places her hand on top of his.

"But, you have to know, she will never be happy if she suppresses a part of herself, a large part of herself." she continues.

"I'm afraid." Charles whispers, he also wonders what it is about Harley that makes it so easy for him to talk about his feelings with her, like he's safe with her, like he can trust her with everything, even though they've haven't known each other very long.

"It's okay to be afraid, but in the end it's not your decision and you have to let her go." Harley finishes, looking him in the eye.

It's quiet for a moment, Charles thinking over her words, before whispering "You're right."

"I know." Harley jokes to lighten the mood, which seems work when Charles chuckles.

They look at each other for a moment, Charles looks down at her lips again, only this time Harley doesn't run. She takes what he father said, and takes the leap.

Not waiting for Charles to make the first move, she leans forward and places her lips on his.

Charles' eyes widen for a second, before he closes them and kisses her back and placing his right hand on her waist.

They brake away from the kiss, looking each other in the eyes.

"Will you stay?" Charles whispers.

Harley thinks for a minute, "Yeah." she whispers back, afraid if she speaks any louder the moment would be broken