Chapter 22

The night after the homecoming game it is a Saturday night and Neenah is at Bruce's Halloween party. Bruce lives in a small beat-up ranch home with a carport around the corner from Jeff's house. Music is blasting and everyone is either high or drunk. The girls are all wearing promiscuous costumes and the boys are either wearing goofy or scary costumes. Neenah is dressed in a sexy devil costume and a bunch of girls walk by and giggle at her, she then throws then a snotty look, "Shut up sluts."

Meanwhile, Steve is driving to Jeff's house and he happens to see a party going on at Bruce's house, "I can imagine how many drugs are at that house, good thing Neenah's at home with Tom."

Back at the party, Neenah is standing in the corner while everyone parties so Bruce walks up to her, "Hey, what's wrong baby?"

Neenah rubs her arm, "I don't really know anyone here."

Bruce then hugs her and kisses her, "You know me." He then stops hugging her, "Hey, does your dad know you're here?"

Neenah smiles, "Are you kidding me? I had to sneak out of the house, but I'm a little worried because my brother's friend lives around here and he has a big mouth."

Bruce hugs her again and rubs his nose against her nose, "Don't worry that kid never goes to parties, he's straight edge."

Back over at Jeff's house, Steve is at the door and Michelle answers the door, "What are you doing here Steve?"

"Michelle we need to talk."

Michelle lets him inside and they go to her bedroom, "What's wrong?"

Steve sits on the bed, "I got a phone call from the hospital."

"What's wrong, are Neenah and Tom ok!?" worries Michelle.

"Yes, they're fine, there at home right now." Steve swallows and tries to hold back tears, "It's their mother."

Michelle puts her arm around him, "Oh, is she ok, what happened?"

Steve pulls Michelle's arm off of him, "No, she overdosed on heroin." He buries his face into his hands, "I don't know how to tell my children this, they said she was found unresponsive in some bathroom at a bar." He gets up as he breathes heavily, "Sorry, I got to go! I just thought you should know in case I or my kids act bitter." He then leaves and runs back into his car.

    Michelle runs after Steve as he is panicking, "Wait! It's ok."

    Steve slams his fist on the car, "No, it's not! Mandy is dying right now and when she dies, people will say cruel things about her online and around town, and my children will see and hear it!" He gets in his car and looks up at Michelle, "I don't want my children to think their mother was a bad person, she wasn't, the drugs made her bad and now they're killing her." Steve starts the car, "It all started thanks to prescription pain killers that were supposed to help her after she got a bad infection when she had Neenah." He pulls away and passes by Bruce's house where a raccoon runs in front of his car and he stops short, "Holy crap! I almost ran that thing over!" he then puts the car in park and tries to calm himself down.

Inside the house, Bruce starts kissing Neenah tenderly and he puts his hand down her pants, "You know I had some beers and I really would like to have sex with you."

Neenah takes his hand out of her pants, "I don't know, my dad would kill me."

Bruce rubs her cheek and smiles, "Don't worry, I'll use a condom." He turns around and starts to walk away, "They're in my car, come with me."

Neenah goes outside with Bruce, where she sees her dad parked outside, "Oh no, my dad is here!"

Steve turns and sees Neenah staring at him with her jaw dropped. He gets out of the car with anger in his eyes as he stomps his feet, "I told you not to go to this party!"

Neenah then crosses her arms, "You know what dad, I'm really sick of you, I'm going to be 16 years old and I'm tired of you treating me like a damn baby!"

Steve then grabs Neenah by her arm and drags her, "I don't care, you are my daughter and I am your father and as long as you live under my roof, you are going to live by my rules!"

Neenah frees herself from Steve's strong grip, "No, because I'm moving in with Bruce!"

Steve grabs her again, "No, you are not living with that scumbag!"

Neenah frees herself and spits in Steve's face, "You're the scumbag! You made mom leave!"

Steve stares at the anger in Neenah's eyes, "Neenah, I'm sorry, but..." Steve has trouble holding back his tears.

Neenah looks over at Bruce as he is just confused as he is, "Why are you crying?"

Steve looks down, "Mom, is in the hospital."

"Is she ok?" Neenah panics.

Steve starts to cry, "No, Neenah, she's dying." He starts sobbing, "I'm so sorry!"

"Oh, come on man, way to cock block me!" Bruce grabs Neenah's hand, "Come on babe, I'll make you feel better."

Neenah frees herself and slaps him across the face, "Go away, pervert!"

Bruce rubs where Neenah slapped him, "Neenah, come on baby!"

Neenah shoves him to the ground and screams in anger, "My mom is dying have some respect!"

Bruce gets back up, "Whatever!" He then walks away.

Neenah walks over and hugs her dad and cries on his shoulder, "Please, tell this is not true!"

Steve holds Neenah tighter, "I'm sorry, it is true, she's on life support right now."

Neenah starts to sob, "I want to see her and tell her I missed her before she dies."

"Ok, I'll take you to the hospital to say goodbye."
    They both get in the car and drive to the hospital.