Chapter Nine

~Ethan~

Everyone eventually joins me on the dock waking me from my unexpected nap. A few of them jump into the water to cool off before climbing back onto the dock to chat with the rest of us. It's nice to see everyone again and catch up.

Graham is in the middle of telling some exaggerated and over-the-top story of something stupid he and his fraternity did last semester at Northwich University, causing Sean, Charlie, and Kevin to burst out laughing. At the same time, Kara slaps his chest, blatantly flirting, and Bianca and Marisa roll their eyes.

"What about you?" Kara asks, "Anything crazy at Burlington?"

"Kara, you know the only thing Ethan's doing is getting high with all the hipsters," Graham says.

Bianca gasps and places her hand on her chest, "He is not!"

"Honestly, can you imagine Ethan getting high like a stoner? He's a total jock," Kara says.

"You'd be surprised how many jocks get high, Kara," Charlie says.

"Come on, Ethan." Sean, the oldest of everyone at twenty-eight, nudges my side with his elbow.

"Admit it."

I hide a grin, "I admit to nothing."

The guys laugh as Kara rolls her eyes.

"I cannot believe you!" Bianca says.

"I'm starving," Kara says as she rubs her bare stomach.

"Let's go see if the food is ready," Sean says as he stands up.

We all begin walking back through the beaten-down brush path toward the canopy tent in front of the cabin. I look over toward the camping tents around the bonfire to the left of the cabin and see Mel with a tall guy trailing behind her. He stumbles as he seems to almost trip on a branch. What a fucking doofus.

I look over at Mel, who has yet to see us. She's wearing black shorts and a tight white tank top. I can't help but watch as her great tits bounce slightly while she walks with purpose over to the canopy tent. My stomach stirs, and I clench my fists before quickly looking down at my feet.

"If you want to get high later, let me know," Charlie whispers in my ear.

I grin as I adjust my baseball cap.

"Hey!" I hear Mel call out to us.

"You have a stash here?" I quickly ask Charlie, directing him over to the canopy tent as the rest of the group meet Melanie and doofus halfway in the brush.

~~~

~Melanie~

"My, you two arrived just in time. For a moment, I didn't think you were coming today," my mom says as she pulls away, looking at me and then at James with her dark eyes. Her chestnut brown hair is in a high pony with pieces falling out, framing her oval face, which I know she strategically placed.

I grimace as James gives a hollow laugh.

"How was staying with James' parents?" my mom whispers to me.

"Fine. How're things here?"

"Oh, you know, the usual. Your Grandma Hansen watching my every move, but at least Bianca's Grandma Hill is here to distract her. So, it was really fine with James' mom?"

"Yes," I say as I look at James talking to Kevin. "Not every relationship is like yours and Grandma Hansen's."

"Okay, okay. So, was the drive fine, at least? Did James drive?"

"I drove," I say, rolling my eyes.

When will we be able to eat? We skipped breakfast this morning, and I'm starving.

Just then, Grandma Hansen announces it's time to eat and hollers at Ethan to return from the dock. I sit at the table as my mom makes her way back to the table next to ours.

After lunch, I help bring in the dishes with Bianca and Kara.

"I just can't believe all the kids are either graduated or in college," my Grandma Rogers says as she washes the dishes.

"Before we know it, they'll be married and making us great-grandmothers," Bianca's Grandma Page says as she dries the dishes.

Bianca, Kara, and I all exchange glances.

"What?" Kara mouths in disbelief.

Bianca shrugs her shoulders as I bite my lip and feel my face heat up.

"Oh, stop. I'll be long dead before then," Bianca's Grandma Hill says as she puts away the dry dishes in the cabinet.

"Don't say that, Esther. And don't say that either, Brandi," my Grandma Hansen says. "I can still remember when they were all just little people. We could still catch them back then, even when they ran."

Grandma Rogers stops drying the dish in her hand and sighs, "Time moves so fast. If only it would slow down so we could truly appreciate our time with them."

Oh, Grandma Rogers, you and me both. Though I wish time would slow. I wouldn't have to grow up as fast and make decisions for things I don't know if I'm ready to do.

James walks in with a few servings trays and hands them to Grandma Rogers.

"Oh, I appreciate time just fine," Grandma Hansen says. "Remember how we used to imagine whose grandchildren would marry whose? Oh, Melanie and Ethan would have made such cute great-grandbabies together."

"Grandma!" I say as my face turns bright red, and I look over at James.

James' eyes dart to mine, and then he quickly leaves the cabin.

I follow after him hearing Grandma Hansen behind me say, "Oh, I didn't know I'd be causing such a stir."

~~~