Chapter Nineteen

~Melanie~

For the rest of the shower, I try not to think about anything as I wash and ignore my pounding head. Once I step out and dry myself off, I quickly dress in a loose turquoise tee shirt and white jean shorts.

I slip my flip-flops back on as I grab a comb from the medicine cabinet above the toilet and briskly untangle my hair. I can barely breathe in here – it's so damn steamy. I'm already sweating, and I only just cleaned myself. I roll my eyes as I put the comb back and head outside.

I see my mom with her sister, Aunt Vicky, in the kitchen. Mrs. Page and Bianca's two aunts join them gathered around the kitchen table, each with a cup of coffee in hand.

"Good morning, honey. We were wondering who was using the shower. Would you like a cup of coffee?" my mom asks me.

I nod my head as I anticipate the caffeine helping my still-pounding head.

Mrs. Page pours me a cup.

"Thanks," I say as I take the mug from her.

"So, Melanie, tell us – how're you doing?" my Aunt Vicky asks.

"Yes, do you have a job yet?" Mrs. Page asks.

I grimace, "No, not yet. I had a few interviews but no callbacks yet."

"You'll get something. Don't worry," my mom said with a smile.

I smile back at her as I sip my coffee. She's always had faith in me.

It has been two weeks, and I haven't heard back from any of my interviews yet... I know my mom said not to worry, but if I don't have a job, I can't move to Boston... with James.

I still don't have an answer to his question about what kind of place we should get together. I sigh as I chug the rest of my coffee, then put my mug in the sink while the ladies continue to chat at the table.

I walk outside, wondering where everyone else is. I hear laughter by the dock, but just as I head over there, Mrs. Page pulls me aside.

"I wanted to ask you something," she says as we stand in front of the closed cabin door.

My heart flutters as my mind quickly returns to this morning's dream.

"I wanted to ask about James. Your mom said you two might get a place together in Boston? That's a huge step, you know."

"Yeah..."

"Well, you know what the next step is," she grins.

I laugh nervously as I feel my face pale. I do think I love James, but that doesn't mean I'm ready for marriage yet. I haven't even started my first real adult job yet!

When I finally make it to the docks, everyone there wishes me a good morning except for Ethan. He totally ignores me, again. James leans in to kiss me good morning but then tries to deepen the kiss, and I pull away quickly.

Why couldn't he just give me a quick peck or a hug? I don't want to be making out with him in front of everyone!

Why did our parents have to be so nosy? Especially Mrs. Page? I huff as I sit on the edge of the dock, tangling my feet just above the cool greenish-blue water as everyone else chats. I cross my arms and watch a dragonfly hover over nearby a lily pad.

"Join us for a swim, Mel!" Marisa says.

"I showered this morning."

"So?" Charlie asks.

"Well, I'm going for a hike. Who wants to join?" Sean asks.

I perk up, "Sure." Maybe some walking will help clear my head.

Sean, Graham, and Kara join in while everyone else stays behind to swim in the lake.

The four of us hike north along the shore of Lake Rescue until it thins out into the Black River, then turn around. Kara and Graham flirt nonstop behind Sean and me as we hike the well-trodden path. I sigh as I look out to the tranquil flowing river.

"Annoying, aren't they?" Sean asks, nodding his head in Kara and Graham's direction.

"I guess," I say, not really wanting to start a conversation.

On the hike back, Graham ends up tripping on a log and falling flat on his face, making all of us laugh. It feels good to laugh. I hate moping around. When we return, Bianca runs up to me in a damp t-shirt dress and a wet ponytail.

"Hey, I'm craving one of Mojo Cafe's tacos. You in?"

~~~