Chapter 7

RUBY'S POV

The house was quiet for the next 24 hours. We waited by the second for Sara's body to arrive, we wanted to give ehr a proper funeral. So we all dressed in black, closed the curtains in the house and waited. It came soon enough in a large black coffin. The night before Joel had buried a hole not too far from the house, so we were all prepared. The three of us walked down there, Joel and Felix carrying the coffin, then we lowered it into the hole. Joel, Felix and myself said a few words, threw the mud back over the coffin, then left the ground to settle. Straight after the funeral, Joel walked down to the river, and didn't come back for hours. "I'm gonna go see where Joel is. I'm starting to worry about him." So I walked down to the river to see if he was there, but when I got there, he wasn't sitting by the river like I thought he would be...he was in the tree...with a pair of two large, black feathery wings emerged out of his back. "Joel? You...you have wings?!"

"Yeah. They're mine now.

"What?" He swooped down and stood in front of me, wings above his head.

"Basically...when Sara died, i got her wings. She never told you but- we're angels. And because she's older than me, she had the family wings, and now she's gone, they're mine." He explained nervously. "And now you know."

"Joel...you could've told us."

"I couldn't. I don't want this. I didn't wanna take Sara's wings from her. It just makes me feel even more guilty. Sara died because of me, I can't ever forgive myself for that."

"Don't blame yourself. It's not gonna help. Yes...you were driving the car that killed her, but you didn't see the rock, you didn't know that would happen. Now, come on, let's get some hot choclate." So I took his cold hand and we walked back home.