Chapter 1

It was getting dark now, and I'd had no rest or sleep since I left the chapel. I looked a mess - my make-up was smudged, my dress was patterned with grotty, damp mud stains and raindrops, and my hair was such a mess a bird could've made a nice home out of it. My heel was beginning to break, so I decided to stop for a second and take my shoes off, going barefoot. I couldn't run any longer, so I just walked. I knew I was far enough for them not to find me - I didn't want them to find me. I never wanted to see them again. I was back to square one; on the streets, with nobody to look out for me. Walking down the cold, dark road gave me a sense of comfort; I'd missed my old life, and now i got it back. I guess this was best for me. I won't go back to drugs, obviously, but I don't want a home, or a normal life, I just want to be free.

"Oi, mate, give us that!" I heard a drunken voice from around the corner, then a slosh of alcohol being tipped into someone's mouth. I hid in the shadows so I wouldn't be noticed. I knew the drunken too well - they weren't nice, especially at this hour.

All of a sudden my cover was blown, as my phone began to chime out a cheesy ringtone on my anklet. "Hey there." The drunk slurred, now right in front of my face. "You busy tonight?" he slurred again, holding me up against the wall and tracing my neck with his lips, the stench of alcohol wallowing in my nose.

"Um...yes." My phone continued to ring.

"Oh come on, I know you're lying. Come back with us, we'll show you a good time."

"No, I'm busy." I shook at the stench of alcohol

"Come on, we ain't gonna hurt ya." He pushed me further against the wall, and I pushed him off aggressively.

"I said no." I tried to walk away but he pulled me back and shoved me into the wall, whacking my head against it and smashing my skull on the bricks. Then all of a sudden a stabbing pain surged through my hip...and I blacked out.

I woke up again with a seering pain in the place I'd been stabbed, my dress was drenched with blood. My phone blared out the ringtone once again, so I pushed my upper body off the floor and found my phone somewhere underneath my dress to look at who it was. Andy. I ignored it and attempted to get myself up off the floor. The pain in my side wasn't as bad as I thought ,so at least I was able to get up and walk. I was hungry, so I decided to find somewhere I could eat without money. Then I realised I was being stupid...this is America - nothing's free. My only choice was to steal something.

I found the nearest supermarket and browsed the shelves for something I could easily sneak out. I ignored the horrified stares of people in the supermarket as I continued down the aisles to find food. I grabbed a bottle of water and some jelly snakes (first thing I could think of that wouldn't go off easily) and headed out, avoiding the security guard in the process. Walking through an alleyway by the supermarket, I realised this was where I was last night. The dried blood on the floor took me back to that moment, as just as the thought of the knife plunging into me came to my head, I got dizzy and fell to the floor, my head spinning so fast I couldn't tell what was left from right.

Sooner or later the world stood still again, I shook my head to bring my eyes back into focus. Focusing on a tall slim boy, pale faced with a slight stubble on his chin. His eyes were a luminous emerald green - creepy but warm. His hair was a dark brown, and swished messily over his crown. "You okay?" He asked pleasantly.

"Do I look it?" He offered me a hand up and I realised just how tall he was...very.

"Not really, Ruby."

I stepped back, confused. "How do you know my name?"

"Bracelet? It says Ruby on it, so I assumed that was your name." I peered down at the bracelet with the silver plate quoting my name on it. i remember the day Ashley bought me that. He came home one day and planted a blue velvet box in front of me, telling me to open it.

"So what's your name, may I ask?" I said to the boy.

"I'm Felixstowe Kennerson Jefferson Crowe. But you can call me Felix." He stood proudly when he introduced himself. "So what brings you here Ruby?"

"Long story."

"Well how about you tell me it while we walk?"

So we set off down the road telling each other our life stories. "Okay, I've told mine, now you tell me yours." I said, hoping to hear something interesting.

"I may as well just show you." Then right before my eyes he morphed from a tall lanky human into a slinky jet black cat!

"Wha- did that just happen?!"

"Yep."

"Okay...what kind of drug am I on?!"

"No drugs...I'm a cat. Around 3 years ago I dated this girl...Georgie...aahhh she was my love. Until I found out she was a witch and was using me as her sidekick. When I found out and got mad at her she turned me int oa cat. But in a way it's kinda cool. I haven't been tormented for years. I just transform and they run screaming"

"Hmm...little more interesting than my story." I giggled

"Oh come on, you fucked two members of Black Veil Brides!!! They're hot! Gotta count for somethin'..." I gave him another confused look

"Um...are you...?"

"Haha no no no! Bi."

"Ohhh okay. Cool"

Soon enough it began to get dark, so we decided to find somewhere to sleep. Luckily there was a forest nearby, so we camped there for the night.