Chapter 18: Ice veins

Just to give you a quick apology to all the people out there reading my book, because of how long it has actually taken me to get back to writing. To be honest, I wasn't planning on continuing this novel, but I recently discovered the increase in reads and considering I havent updated in over 6 months, this has really motivated me to keep going and finish this novel, that I am actually very proud of. By the way, thank you sooooooo much for the 1000 plus views that I have acquired, you would not believe the amount of confidence and motivation it has given me to continue my passion in writing. Thank you ! Now, without further delay......

Ophelia's POV

Well, here I am. Not really sure where I am actually, but I am standing strong, with the only person I could ever want with me. I am not entirely sure how I'm going to confront all of those waiting for me at the palace. And I don't think the broken jaw, the broken knuckles and the newly found powers that I have will help my circumstances. However, I know what I need to do and there's no better way than doing it with ice flowing through my veins and fire holding my hand. If I was going to walk out of this apartment, I was gonna do in style and with my other half walking beside me, whatever world he may be in, he's always with me.

Fortunately, for now, he gets to be in my world, after realising that I had the uncommon addition of being able to heal through my hands. Apparently, according to Evan only one out of ten people like us get an extra ability and thank God mine was the ability to heal. However, now I need to face my friends and family without lashing out, without revealing who I am, something I never knew until now, only I still feel as if something is missing, but what could possibly be missing amongst all the confusion and painful events that have occurred in the past 2 years. Never mind that, I'm off, off to change my fate, based on my choices and no one else's.

In that precious 20 minute drive, I don't believe I could've been happier, we talked about everything and anything, solely enjoying each others presence, though sadly, it wasn't to last long, it came to an end almost as soon as we arrived at the palace. And right there, as the car came to a stop, Evan declared he wasn't coming with me.

"What do you mean you're not coming?" I demanded out of pure bewilderment.

"I can't." he sheepishly returned, his regard replacing me with the car's steering wheel.

"Well, I can't go in there without you, so we're in a bit of a pickle then" I jokingly attempted to cheer him up, not knowing why his mood had changed so suddenly.

"You don't understand, I can't go in there with you, looking like that." he gravely admitted.

"What on earth do you mean?" I questioned brutally.

"They will think that I did that..." he mumbled.

It took me a while to understand what "that" was and he meant my entire beaten up physical state. However, I couldn't even begin to decipher why that would even be a possibility and so I just stood there mesmerized, paralysed, trying to wrap my head around it. Unexpectidly, I felt a soft hand carress my sore jaw and as I lifted my head, I noticed that Evan was now placed directly facing me. He was saying something, but it was like i had gone deaf. I continued to stare, trying to draw out the words from his lips, before looking directly in his troubled eyes. My vision gradually began to focus and notice the face that stared back at me in those eyes. For a split second I saw another version of myself reflected through his irises, a blue creature that i did not recognise. It was as if you could see the emotions pulsating through my veins with the blue light that glowed through my skin. I'd never seen anything like it. I thought I must have hallucinated because it was gone as soon as I realised what it was, me.

"Ophelia, look at me!" shouted Evan, trying to get me out of my trance, slowly my hearing was becoming clearer and then out of nowhere I felt a shearing pain in my wrists.

"Fuck!" I yelled whilst yanking my hands out of Evan's grips. I assesed the damage and noticed the deep burns gradually repair themselves.

"Do you realise what just happened?"asked Evan whilst assesing both of our hands.

"Yeh, you bloody burnt my wrists!" I spat comically.

"No, I mean yes sorry about that. I mean the fact that I wasn't burning you the entire time you zoned out, it was only when you calmed down that I hurt you." he explained with a look that a child gets when they're given their present at christmas.

"I don't understand..." I claimed unsure why he was so gidy.

"It means I was wrong, we can be together without hurting each other." He grinned, "You could be my girlfriend..., if you want" he asked blushing profoundly. The slight hint of red in his eyes and the overall glow plastered on his face had me falling deep without any doubt.

"No we can't.." I challenged and it was at this moment that all colour drained from his face and a deep silence was again present. "At least not until we go in there and get rid of my supposed "fiancé"." I fooled and with that he rooled his eyes and reached over to the other side of the car to kiss me exitedly.