On Thursday morning, a noticed appeared on the Slytherin bulletin board in the common room. A notice that brought much excitement to many of the first years, including Draco Malfoy who immediately started bragging about how brilliant he was going to be. Today, the first years were to take part in their first flying lesson.

"I could play for a national team," Malfoy said loudly at the breakfast table. "Better than some national teams, to be honest."

Teddie rolled her eyes. "Even national players were learners once," she said, swallowing a mouthful of cereal.

"Please don't pick a fight with him this morning," Marcus said, helping himself to some toast and jam.

"I'm not," Teddie defended. "I'm just stating a fact."

"I know, but you know what Malfoy's like."

Teddie huffed and reached for a pitcher of milk. "Fine," she said. "I'll keep my comments to myself."

"Have you ever flown before, Green?" Derrick asked from the opposite side of the table. "Not a broom, obviously, but I mean in general?"

"Do you mean have I been on a plane?" Teddie asked.

Derrick nodded.

Teddie shook her head. "My parents can barely afford the essentials," she said. "What makes you think that they can afford four plane tickets?"

"So, you've never been out of the UK?" Adrian asked.

"Nope. The furthest I have ever been is Wales," said Teddie, "and that's only to see my grandparents."

"How did you get to Wales?"

"My father drives. Any money he earns from his job is rationed between the car and the house," Teddie explained. "Then my mother's earnings are rationed between me and Mason. My parents rarely get nice things, everything they earn is spent on making me and Mason comfortable."

Derrick studied Teddie with a sad look.

Teddie glared at him. "Don't look at me like that," she snapped. "I'm not broken goods just because I come from poverty. I just see the world differently."

"Would you change it, if you could?" Derrick asked.

"I doubt it," Teddie replied. "My parents always say that money can't buy happiness, you have to make your own, and for what it's worth, I agree with them."

The others exchanged looks as Teddie went back to her breakfast. They didn't know what it was like to come from a poor background, while most of them weren't beyond rich, they were also better off than Teddie described. They wanted for nothing, whereas Teddie seemed to struggle to even make ends meet most of the time.

"We should get going," Blaise said, breaking the silence. "I hear Madam Hooch is as strict as Professor McGonagall, especially when students are late."

Finishing their breakfast, Theo, Daphne, Teddie, and Blaise bid goodbye to Marcus and his friends and left the Great Hall.

"Hey, Green -" Malfoy called.

"Just ignore him," Theo said, grabbing Teddie's hand and leading her out into the Entrance Hall.

This time, Teddie did.

~X~

At three-thirty, once all lessons had promptly come to an end, The Slytherin first years headed out into the clear, breezy afternoon and marched down the grassy slope towards a smooth lawn on the opposite side of the grounds. Madam Hooch was waiting for them, and so were over a dozen rickety-looking broomsticks.