Chapter 15

"I would rather die." I growled through clenched teeth. As a static signal came over the radio.
"They're gone; we got 'em. Not one's left we've won, we've won!" Emily's voice called.
'Yes' I thought, now I would be able to die knowing my friends are safe.
"NOOO!" Roared the leader as he placed his hands around my throat. He pushed my hair back, pulling it in the process to where my neck was showing. I felt the harsh breath of the demon against my flesh.
"Not today you sick bastard." I said as I shoved him off me and using my flint, started a fire in the dry grass that took off like someone had doused it in petrol. The leader screamed as the fire engulfed him, and as he shrivelled into oblivion I too felt myself fall. Loss of blood and lack of air had taken its toll on me and the last thing I saw were two blurred figures running towards me before I totally blacked out.

The next time I woke I was in bed, in my cabin, however, I was not in my bed. I felt someone holding my hand. I looked to my right and saw James. He clasped my hand in his while his face rests in his hands. I heard him muttering something, "Please wake up Melanie, Please wake up." He says it over and over again.
"Good morning" I said wearily, he shot straight up and looked at me. Tears welling up in his eyes.
"Oh my god you're alive, I was so worried everyone said you wouldn't make it." James said as tears rolled down from his beautiful blue eyes. I tried sitting up as a sharp pain rocketed through me from, well everywhere. Ignoring the pain I leant over hugging James just needing to make sure he was real, he hugged me back as the gang walked in.
"She's awake!" Danika called as she ran over to my bedside a hugged me. Emily followed and she sat on what I guessed was James bed beside me.
"Jesus, you bitch, you scared the shit out of me" Emily said. This made me laugh which hurt but I couldn't help it.
"You couldn't have cut it any closer, another minute and Emily and Danika would have been in tears again." Ryan said while encircling Emily in his arms.
"Aww she does care," I stated.
"By the way what happened and how long have I been well, 'dead?" I asked in a curious and mocking voice.
"Well you've been here for about three days and when we found you in the fire, that took us forever to put out I might add, you freaking pyro, you weren't looking too good. Everyone started freaking out too, thinking you were gonna turn into a demon but you didn't so that awesome and Ryan and Hannah stitched you up too. James here didn't leave your side the entire time and the only reason he got any sleep was because I watched you for him." Danika said a little creepily.
"Um thanks I think." I laughed to Danika. By now James was looking as happy as the day we were under the tree, I reached out and grabbed his hand in a reassuring manner.
"Hey, don't worry, remember this is real ... I think" I said soothingly and with that, the gang got the hint and left as James sat beside me.
"Thank you for everything James. You saved me." I told him and with that, I leant over and we kissed a beautiful, long-lasting kiss that consumed me and as we broke apart still close, so very close I realized that James had stolen my heart and would probably always own it.