Chapter 9

In the stables most of the horses were either sleeping or pacing around in their pens. I found Dorn lying under a tree. Like ridder, like horse I thought to myself. Jumping over the wire which made up his paddock I walked over and sat down beside him. Stroking his mane it seem as though we'd know each other all our lives and not just a few weeks. Suddenly Dorn rose and became very startled by something. He began to urge me behind the tree when I heard the other horses bucking and sounding frantic. Dorn was purposely blocking me from sight, although I manage to get I glimpse of a darkly dressed young man.
"Is this the place?" He spoke to an un-seeable person with a voice of sin. Never had I heard someone with such a naturally wicked note in their voice.
"Yes, the other will be here and there are plenty of children for the feast. So NEVER question me again." Spat the other person as he shoved the first man. He cried in what must have been pain as he steadied himself. I caught sight of this man's eyes. They were red, blood red with the darkest pupils. I started to back up when a twig snapped from beneath me. I froze. Tension built as the man scanned the area. Thankfully Dorn and I were not spotted. The men stalked away into the shadows, as I breathed a sigh of relief, I hadn't even realized I'd been holding.

I crept out from the paddock with Dorn, the other horse still startled as we exited the stable. Dorn and I flew down to the field where everyone was. Straight over to Emily and crew we went.
"What are you doing, shouldn't you be watching the race?" Ryan started to say, but as he saw the look in my eyes and turned serious.
"What happened?" He asked, clearly startled by the fear in my expression. There wasn't a lot that could give me a fright but this did.
"We're not safe here, we need to go, find somewhere hidden, where they can't find us, we have to go, we have to go." I said frantically.
"What? Who's coming? Melanie, what's going on?" Emily asked clearly startled by the tone of my voice.
"These guys, they had red eyes and were covered in scars and scrapes. Blood stains came from their mouths, we have to go." I stated.
"They said there was more of them and something about feasting and that there were plenty of children to go around." I recalled. The others were concerned and looked slightly convinced.
"The Containers, the ones where we kept our flags, get everyone there get everyone inside. Arm yourselves, be extremely careful don't leave anyone behind." I told them. Instantly they followed command, I wasn't sure if it was the serious tone of my voice or the frantic look on my face that spurred them into action.

People started to yell and scream. Running in all directions when the finalist started to run down the field. The riders and their horses were startled and they all slowed down to avoid hitting anyone. Panic seemed to spread like a wildfire, all this noise would attract the men and the 'others' he spoke about. I myself was scared but I knew that unless we worked together as a team, the situation was going to get a whole lot worse. Dorn and I rode to the front of the crowd. He reared up and gave a loud noise of authority, everyone, startled by his size and brutality stopped dead. I stay on his back as I yell, "Everyone, calm down. I know this is not the time for long speeches but we are in danger and our best hope of getting out of this situation is coming together as a team just like the old days. Go to the containers where our flags were hidden, try to fit everyone in a single container so we are together. Arm yourselves with whatever weapons we find and stocks of food and lock yourselves in the containers with a radio. I will take the horse back to their stables. These men are not after our companions, I know this because I saw them pose no threat to the horses." 

"And before we go is everyone here?" A few murmurs went around and then it hit me. James, he hadn't come back yet.

Camp Windang P.o.v. 1On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara