Chapter 6

"Calm down Neek, and when Daniel says 'yes' don't freak out too much." I threw back at her with a wicked smile on my face. A gunshot fired into the air and it was on. I saw James and Jamie take off, right into the front of the pack. I heard the other groups cheering as we were the last to race. Dorn and I sped along our route, jumping down gullies and over fallen trees. We were as fast as lightning and riding as one. I knew Dorn's thought and he knew mine. Like two souls and one spirit.

Up ahead a flowing creek cut our path.
"Around or over?" I asked Dorn. I head flick and neigh told me it was over and up for us. Increasing his pace, Dorn and I leapt over the creek, like Hercules and the Pegasus we flew. As we landed on the other side of the creek I yelled in triumph. Just in front of me, I saw Scott. Miles had hesitated before a fallen tree.
"Come on Dorn, Come on Dorn" I chanted as we bypassed Scott, soaring over the tree. A sound of victory came from Dorn. We were in the race and we were determined. More obstacles and bypasses flew by one of which was Danika. Ally was rearing up slightly while contemplating how to cross a creek.
"Have fun with Daniel" I call as Dorn and I leapt over the creek. I heard Dorn's breathing, hard and strong. I lay a hand on his side calming him as we came around to the final stretch. James and Jamie were around 10 meters in front of us. Dorn saw them and took off. Never in my life did I think I could be at one with such a fast and noble creature. We tore across the field. Neck and neck with James and Jamie. We cross the line, a tie not a second to part the four of us. Once Dorn and I stopped, I jumped down off his back and wrapped my arms around his neck. We were both breathing heavily as I say over and over how proud I was of him.
"You were amazing, absolutely legendary," I told him when James and Jamie walked past,
"Wow, never thought a Mustang could run that fast," James said.
We shook hands. "Thanks for the race," I said still a little out of breath. James started to walk by as my gaze followed him. Dorn clearly not impressed flicked me in the face with his tail. "Hey," I exclaimed whilst smiling; all I got from him was a huff. Our race was finished so Dorn and I went to watch the others cross the finish line. Will and Gem were next, followed by Ryan and Spike. Danika and Emily were just rounding the corner as I began to cheer. Danika was in front but Emily was making a decent effort to catch up, but in the end, Danika came in 5th and Emily 6th. Scott came around a short time later as we all encouraged him with cheers and applause.

"So Emily, you got anything special for you and Ryan?" I asked mockingly.
"Shut up Melanie" Emily growled.
"Hey, you started it, oh that backfire dou" I was laughing by now. Then Danika came along and made everything all the more funny.
"You love him, you love him, you really, really love him, and you're gonna get married and I'm gonna be the flower girl." She yelled in a very creative singing voice. The look on Emily's face said it all and I lost it. Danika and I burst out laughing while Emily started trying to shut us up.
"Hold on you two, Melanie what do you do about the tie?" Emily said.
"I don't know" I replied. Suddenly, not even a second later an announcement was given around that only one person from each group was allowed to compete. Which meant James and I were going to have to figure something out.