Chapter 12

"James check this out" I said in a hushed voice. Scribbled on the wall in some form of black ink was a list of scratched numbers.    

2009
2010
2011
2012
2013
2014

Only the last number wasn't scratched out. I read aloud, "two thousand and twelve, two thousand and thirteen, two thousand and fou ..."
"They're years" I stated with horror. "James this has happened before."
"Wh – what do you mean? How do you know?" Jeremy replied just as shocked as I was.
"This explains why we never see the camp instructors or why one of the men, creature things looked so young ..."
"Oh no," James whispered. With that, we continued to follow the main route moving as fast as we could. That was until we got to a dead end.
"Oh God, now we're stuffed" I stated.
"Look up," James said as I turned my head to the cave-like ceiling. Another trap door. The roots of a tree nearby acted as a sort of ladder that we could climb.
"I'll go first." I told James although I don't think he would have been able to climb very well one handed. Once near enough to the ceiling, I began to bang hard against the trap door. I heard a few scrapes from atop the door. I continued hammering until it broke free and flew open. Then I heard the readying of guns and knew instantly where we were.

"Don't shot. It's us, Melanie and James." I said while tangling my legs around the roots to balance myself as I place my hands above my head.
"Melanie!" I heard two voices call. It was Emily and Danika. Their face appeared over the side of the trap door and into the light of the fire James was holding. Helping James and I into the container I was practically suffocated by hugs as the girls entangled me in their arms. Danika was crying and Emily and I were tearing up trying to hold it back.
"We thought you were dead, we couldn't get a signal from you or anything," Danika said over her tears.
"Hey, we were in a pretty tough situation but you know me, I can climb my way out of most things." I said trying to cheer her up.
"Before anything else has anyone got medical supplies? James' been hurt badly. Not by one of those demons but when Jamie threw him." I said while holding James' hand.
"Yeah, I know a thing or two about first aid from Navy Cadets." Ryan said as he came over and started to medicate James.
"So, what's the action like here, anything happened?" I asked as I looked around at all the sad and scared faces of my companions.