🔼 Good And Evil 🔽

Start from the beginning

"You haven't recovered yet." Her hand flew to her hip in the most natural movement. "Your injuries were deep, Sasuke-kun, and pride alone isn't going to help you stand."

Sasuke shot her an incredulous look. Was she actually chastising him? The prince of all panther demons? How absurd.

"Who are you, my mother?" he grunted, crossing his arms. Then, he frowned and demanded, "Why are you smiling?"

"That's the least hostile thing you've said to me yet," she replied, putting down her quiver and bow. "I think maybe you're warming up to me a little bit."

Sasuke scoffed and turned his head away. "Your sense of humor is appalling."

*

The next evening when she scaled the hill, Sasuke was nowhere to be found. She guessed he went on his way once his body had healed enough. Sakura hadn't expected him to stay anyway, nor had she expected any gratitude. So, once she realized he was gone, Sakura too, went on her way. Before leaving, she said a plain goodbye to Ino, who she was visiting here, and promised to return in time for her wedding.

Her feet set a lonely, familiar rhythm on dusty roads. The quiet eventually gave way to reminiscence. Days went by and the path carried her through a forest once more. She could have chosen to forego the risk and take the longer route around it, but she chose to continue on. It wasn't as if Sakura couldn't defend herself if she had to. She encountered nothing, however.

In a village nearby, she stopped to help out with a bunch of night robbers and the grateful villagers ended up hosting her. That's where she encountered Sasuke for the second time.

She was playing with the children when he suddenly manifested behind her. It was unmistakable, that aura of his. She straightened and sent the children on their way before turning to meet his eyes. He stood tall and proud, every inch the demon prince that he was, eyes bearing down at her in an unreadable expression.

"Lord Sasuke."

He continued to observe her for a long minute, several questions and answers battling within himself. Then, he finally asked, "Can you break barriers?"

*

From under the tree where she was resting, Sakura watched the panther demon perched on a branch like a shadow. She couldn't help but think how distinct he looked, standing out like a moon even in the darkest of nights. An unfair comparison, really. And as his eyes slid toward her, she abruptly looked away.

"If you don't need the rest, we'll move ahead."

Instead of replying, she quietly closed her eyes. Her natural instincts refused to allow slumber, however and she eventually gave up. How odd it was, to be sitting there, beside a powerful demon such as Sasuke and not have to fight him. Or to have any company in general.

"Why'd you seek me out?"

"You're the only priestess I know foolish enough to aid a demon."

"I see."

It made sense, insult aside. If Sasuke wanted someone to help him get through a barrier, not many people capable would be willing. And he already knew she was not averse to helping demons.

"What if I had refused?"

He dipped his head to look at her, then leaped down from the branch gracefully, barely making any sound. He might as well have flown.

"There's always other ways to get what I want," he replied, eyes changing color to a glowing, blood red.

"You don't scare me," she plainly informed him.