Chapter Twenty-Three: chase me down

Click. Click. Click. Click.

The memory of last night tried it's best to flood my thoughts. I had fallen asleep easily but was awakened by the sound of my door being opened. I layed still, pretending to be in a dead sleep. I watched him in the very corner of my eye. As he got closer, something that shimmered in the light from the moon outside my window caught my eye. A syringe. Like hell if I was just going to lay there and let him stick that in me!

I fought for my life last night. I think I even broke Link's nose. I just know that he ran out of my room way more beat up than he probably expected. I showed my new found strength way sooner than I wanted to. But he also tried to hurt me way sooner than I thought he would. I had no other choice.

I focused on the glowing light of the rising sun illuminating through the windows as I made my way down the marble hallway leading to the front gates. I was wearing a white v-neck today and a pair of ripped jeans. My Etnies weren't exactly good enough for running, but they were the only shoes I had left, the only ones that didn't get thrown away.

Click. Click. Click. Click.Click.Click.Click.Click.Click....

If my Mother saw me going out in public like this she would have a fit. Which is exactly why I had to practically start jogging now. I knew she was right behind me, but in her heels and with her delicate frame of her body, she wouldn't be able to catch up to me. I heard her pace quicken.

My heart beat sped up a little. Running away from my Mother seemed scarier then running away from any vampire or werewolf. I pushed the over sized wooden doors to the Palace open, the fresh air soaked into my lungs instantly as I sucked in a deep breath. The sun felt nice on my skin. No vampires keeping me up until sunrise meant I actually got to wake up with the sun now.

“Good morning, Princess!” The voice called at me, echoing from across the grounds.

The brightness from the sun blinded me momentarily. The doors slammed shut behind me when I let them go. The clicking of my Mothers heels completely stopped. I blinked as I blindly walked forward, and narrowed my eyes to see. I had to get used to the sun again.

My feet crunched on the loose gravel as I made my way down to the gates. When I could finally see, I saw two figures standing on either side of the gates. One of them had a long cigarette in his mouth as he grinned at me, the other was leaning against the wall.

“Well good morning, boys.” I said as soon as I was able to recognize both of them. I always got along with the Palace staff. Link used to too.

“Look at you. Where are you going all dressed up?” The one leaning against the wall teased.

“For a walk.” I shrugged at him. They both gave me a once over. Kind of a rude thing to do to their Princess.

“You're not going to run away again, are you?” The one with the cigarette hanging out of his mouth asked, a serious tone in his deep voice.

“I never really--”

“Princess,” The man leaning shuffled around, looking uncomfortable. “The King asked us not to let you beyond the gates...”

I stared at both of them, pretty angry. They were going to keep me locked in here? I couldn't even go into the village?

“I'll just climb over.” I threatened absent mindedly.

“Kimberly, we know that's exactly what you'll do but--”

“Oh, come on now the poor girl can't stay locked up in this place.” A chilling voice made me turn around. His eyes were a dark brown, very dark, even in the sun.