Chapter 4

Two days later, after the letter incident, Uncle Vernon moved the entire family, including Harry and I, to a house in the middle of nowhere.

The house was dark, stuffy and smelled like a rat died in here somewhere. The thick layer of dust tells me that nobody has lived here for a long time. Cobwebs filled every corner of the ceiling. The structure of the house alone seems inhabitable. It's close to collapsing and when it does, I don't want Harry and me to be in here when it happens.

It was already dark when we reached the house so they decided that they'll let Harry and I clean the house tomorrow. Alone.

I got a blanket from a luggage and set it on the dusty floor where Harry and I will be sleeping, since Dudley already claimed the couch as soon as we went inside. The only bed in the house was upstairs where out aunt and uncle will be sleeping.

Thunder rumbled outside as the storm continued to rage, the rough wind making the unstable roof bang loudly. The loud pitter-patter of the violent rain on the roof echoes throughout the house.

I stretched out and lay on the blanket, without pillows since they didn't leave us some. Harry lied down next to me as I watched the glowing embers in the fireplace die out.

Harry shifted to lie on his stomach and leaned against his elbows. He began to write something in the layer of dust that covered the floor. In curiosity, I did the same position as Harry's and watched him draw a cake. A birthday cake.

I forgot, it's our birthday tomorrow.

He finished drawing the cake, but something's missing. I reached out to finish the drawing and wrote 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAILEY AND HARRY' in the middle of the cake.

I wiped off the dust in my finger and looked at Harry. I smiled at him and he did the same.

I heard Dudley's alarm in his watch indicating midnight. It's already July 31st. It's already our birthday.

Harry looked at me and said, "Make a wish, Hailey."

"Make a wish, Harry," I replied to him.

Together, we let out a puff of air at the drawing, pretending it was real, and not just a dusty drawing. The dust dispersed at the gust of air, making the words disappear.

Then suddenly, the front door banged with a flash of lightning, as if it hit the door, making Harry and I jump and waking Dudley up with a scare. The door banged again, harder this time, making Harry and I jump onto our feet.

With a third bang, Harry dragged me behind the fireplace to hide as we waited who might come through that door. In those few seconds, I already imagined a dozen of creatures which might be a possibility that's banging outside the door.

They keep banging the door, harder that the last hit. Our uncle went down the stairs, stopping halfway, with a rifle in his hands. Aunt Petunia, hiding behind him as if he was her shield, turned on the sole light in the room.

Where did he get the rifle? I wondered as the banging still continued.

With a last hit, the door finally broke off its hinges and collapsed to the ground, making dust fly around and revealing a large and hairy creature behind it.

I stifled a scream and held Harry's arm as I saw the creature walk in.

For a moment, there was only silence then I heard someone speak. "Sorry about that." His voice was deep and husky.

I peeked from behind the fireplace to try to see the man clearer. I saw him turn around and bent down to pick up the door and put it back in place, silencing the storm outside. His footsteps were loud and heavy as he walked.