Chapter 8: Everything's not as it seems

“You see Jinx; I was born in Russia in Moscow and moved here to England at the age of ten. When I was little, in Russia, my.... my parents ....” As Natalia said this tears began to form in her eyes.

“My parents were killed by a dark wizard. You see, although dark wizards were no longer welcome in Russia, still a few remained. They worked in secret trying to get rid of mortal witches; witches who were both magical and mortal. My parents were this type so this evil witch tortured my parents to death one night because they unknowingly entered “forbidden territory” and had to face the ultimate price... death.” That did it, Natalia burst into a flood of tears.

Jinx was silent; she had no idea what to say. After a while Natalia calmed down. Jinx saw how upset she was and said “I’m so sorry; I had no idea. Honestly If I had known I would never have asked. I...”

She wasn’t sure what else to say after all it was her question that made Natalia feel this way. Natalia shook her head and softly said “Don’t worry; it’s not your fault. It’s just a little hard... talking, you know?”

After a while Jinx said “My um... parents died ...when I was born. The people said it was from a fire... I was then at the doorstep of the orphanage, that’s all I know about my parents.”

“Wait, you were born in a fire?” Alice asked after a while.

“Yeah.” Jinx said, she wasn’t sure why this was so important.

“Don’t you get it? You’re a very rare type of witch.” Alice replied trying to explain.

“Jinx, normal witches are not born that way, normal witches are born in the same way mortals are except their powers emerge as they grow. However witches that were born in let’s say a fire. Or an earthquake or any sort of disaster, posses a special unique power; that no other witch can learn to have. Don’t you see you’re a rare witch; they only come every few generations.” explained Natalia.

Jinx stood there, her face blank. She wasn’t sure what to think. This was all so much to take in. Wow, this means that I’m, I’m a witch with a special power. This is, wow, so incredible Jinx thought as she took the news in.

 “So, how do I find out, what they are exactly?” Jinx asked after a while. Alice and Natalia looked at one another and shrugged.

“Don’t know, I guess you’ll find out when it’s time.” Alice said after a while.

Soon they heard the sound of a bell rattling. The girls ran out of the library realising that they were late for class. Jinx looked at her time table and saw that she now had D.M.C.C which she was relieved to know that most people in her form also had the same class.

The girls left the hall and they walked past a few classes, down the stairs, to the bottom of the building until they reached an area with no doors, no windows, just pale white walls.

“It’s a dead end.” Jinx said as they reached the area, why are we here, there’s nothing here? She thought, while looking around for any sign of an entrance.